Do both owners need to sign tenancy agreement?

We are due to sign a tenant in Monday through a scheme with my local council. The council Lettings department are drawing up the tenancy agreement.
The property is owned by myself and my husband.
I have just found out I may have to go to Ireland tomorrow or Sunday for a funeral so won’t be on Monday.
My question is could my husband sign for both of us? Or could I do a digital signature? I have tried contacting the council Lettings team but they are closed.

I am no expert but an agent can sign on a landlords behalf. so I cnnot see why one person cannot sign for both of you .Thus that one person would then have to be used in all matters thru the tenancy

1 Like

I too once let to the local authority

A serious mistake-assuming such people had any integrity

You will find whatever (verbal) assurances they will not be honoured
“inventory” not worth a thing
Tenant -the absolute dross rejected elsewhere

Look out for those legal clauses too which allow them to ignore your requests AND extend the tenure even if you want to end it

I could go on………….simply take advise through this medium

Ask your local LL their experience with this authority

Dr David Noble

1 Like

David17
September 30
I too once let to the local authority

A serious mistake-assuming such people had any integrity

You will find whatever (verbal) assurances they will not be honoured
“inventory” not worth a thing
Tenant -the absolute dross rejected elsewhere

Look out for those legal clauses too which allow them to ignore your requests AND extend the tenure even if you want to end it

I could go on………….simply take advise through this medium

Ask your local LL their experience with this authority

Dr David Noble

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Hi Maz, Dr Noble is correct in saying that to get everything in writing and do not listen to any verbal assurances, however I think Dr Noble has had bad experiences with LA’s, even though I’m sure in most case he is right, but there are nice people out there too. I have let one of my flats to LA and she has been one of my best tenants, always paying on time and keeping the place tidy enough. Ask if you can meet the proposed tenants yourself, I had a choice of 3.

Thanks for the replies. As it transpired we were both able to attend the sign on at the property.
We actually found the tenant ourselves via Openrent so have rented directly to her and not to the local authority. The local authority involvement comes because the tenant was previously homeless after breakdown of a relationship so they have a scheme to provide the deposit and one months rent in advance to landlords. This is an incentive non refundable payment to encourage landlords to rent to tenants who the local authority have an obligation to house.

1 Like