Do I need to supply cleaning appliances

Dear everyone,

If I rent out a furnished house, do I need to supply items like hoover and mop? Do you have any advice on what I have to include and what is optional?
If a piece of furniture is damage do I need to replace it or do I charge the tenant for this? And if white goods is nit working do I need to replace it?
I just got them a double bed as she prefers
Double bed to single bed, is this correct to do? Many apologies I am just not so familiar with the rules.
Thank you so much

Best wishes

Sung

if You supply furniture then you will have to replace it if they break it DO NOT supply white goods unless you want to be responsible for repairs and replacement… Tenants will NOT look after the items if they have not bought them as good as if they had paid for them

Dear Colin3,

Thank you for your reply and the information. I did supply the white good, so silly of me, which means I need to replace them if they break.

I also supply Sofa, dining table and chairs, side tables, Beds and wardrobes and desk.
So if they break these furnitures, can I ask them to replace these?

Do I need to supply tools like broom and hoover?

Thank you so much Colin

Best wishes

Sung

What you supply is up to you, If they break something they should replace them, but will they? Maybe you will have good tenants who will look after the stuff. I just never started off supplying anthing , I have rented out for 40 years , It works for me.

Dear Colin,

Thank you so much for your help. I wish I can be confident. I am a bit worried to upset them and they may not look after the house as I wish they do. I have no experience with tenants, these are the first private tenants. I am hoping to keep a good relationship with them, nit sure if this is possible in this business.

I am planning to say that this will be the last item I am providing and hope they understand and don’t get upset.

Your help is much appreciated, Colin

Best wishes

Sung

1 Like

Hi Sung
Its true everything you supply as a landlord you are ultimately responsible for, but you should also have an inventory which both of you have signed and of course a deposit from the tenant. If they break furniture and it isn’t reasonable wear and tear (ie it was in a good condition) then they are liable to pay for it. I do supply white goods, which of course does cost me ultimately, and like you I only rent out 1 property.
If you dont wish to replace any furnture/white goods then you can omit them from the inventory, but that can also mean the tenant could, in theory, take them at the end if the tenancy if they leave!
Ive never had any problems with any tenants at all and have individually vetted & interviewed them prior to renting which means we already know them a little and can get some idea of them. Good luck!
Kate

Dear Kate,

Thank you so much for your email and the information. My sincere apologies for this late reply.

I have prepared an inventory and we signed it.
The computer was old and keep messing the document up, it does not look perfect but it is alright I hope.

Thank you so much. Fingers crossed they do t break anything.

Big hug

Sung

As I understand it you are only obliged to provide a cooking facility, a kitchen with oven / hob, or even simply a microwave in a kitchenette. Also adequate heating & hot water facilities.

I would strongly suggest you do not provide anything else, although I generally provide a fridge / freezer as well, as they are usually built in to fitted kitchens, to maintain the standards I wish to present in my properties. I also provide a door mat, in the hope they will wipe their feet before entering!

You should know that any furniture you provide must comply with fire safety standards, or you could be held liable for any consequences.

Anything you do supply should be fully detailed in an inventory and condition report, and you are deemed responsible for there upkeep if included in the contract. Of course any negligent damage will have to be paid for by the tenant, if your lucky. But there is always the issue of wear & tear if it ever gets in front of a judge in court, and I can guarantee you, the landlord, will come of worst.

In a change of circumstances, I decided to rent out my personal penthouse, which was fully furnished and fitted to a high standard - more fool me. The tenants actually stole the furniture they liked when they left, claiming they had been told they could take what they wanted. What was actually agreed was that any furniture they wished to replace with that of their own choice, if staying long term, could be passed on to a charity shop, after first consulting me or the agent. There was a photographic inventory appended to the contract. In spite of this DPS handed back all their bond, which we had made a claim against. I made a complaint to DPS and received compensation in the sum of £275, against a bond of £1,100, pathetic!
I would also note that the tenant actually contacted me to ask if he could have any of the furniture when he left, and I replied instantly with a definitive NO, but he still took it. Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately, I’m living overseas and can do nothing about.

But, as Citizen Smith says, “come the day of reckoning”…