White goods or no white goods

Any landlords/tenants feel as though it doesn’t matter if white goods are not supplied?

As a landlord I’ve always supplied but sort of sick of the responsibility as they are never looked after and just something else to go wrong.

I’m half tempted to let it with washer, fridge and freezer (gifted), but when they break it’s down to tenant to replace or repair. Is this unreasonable? I would be responsible for oven and hob only.

this has been discussed a while back. I never supply white goods .No w/machine no dishwasher, no dryer no cooker no hob. ,no fridge . but I leave spaces for freestanding appliances. They will look after their own gear better and you will get less phone calls. If you supply they will be phoning you to fix

4 Likes

Depends on where you are letting too and how long your average tenant stays with you. I let a flat in London and most tenants, the majority of whom are international, stay for a year. White goods are fully expected to be supplied. Not having a dishwasher has been questioned some times but I’m clear that I will not be supplying one and no tenant has ever then requested to install their own (no space anyway).

I normally only include an oven and hob. I’d rather know they were safe than have the tenants install something that’s going to burn the house down!

That said, I do have one that I bought with a built in dishwasher, so that’s still in. And one that has a built in fridge freezer and washing machine. So, I have left those rather then reconfigure the kitchen units to take them out.

Interesting to hear other perspectives. I can see why Nilesh would include all white goods when renting to short term overseas tenants.

Generally my tenants stay for at least 4 years, but the last tenants have just moved out and feel as though the market is hot enough not to have to supply with white goods (I only let properties which are a good standard and good locations).

Hob and oven only it is!

I’d be reluctant to supply a washing machine for several reasons, it’s the item mostly likely to develop faults, and most likely to be misused e.g. dispensers never cleaned out and left mouldy and disgusting, damp clothes left in the drum for days on end etc.

3 Likes

I normally supply all white goods, but that’s because I have young urban professional tenants who mostly don’t have furniture of their own. They tend to stay only a couple of years on average, but sometimes less and I don’t particularly want people continually connecting and disconnecting appliances. So it depends on your market.

2 Likes

We supplied a fridge-freezer and a washer-dryer (the latter to discourage drying washing inside the flat). My tenant of 2.5 years rang a few weeks ago saying the washing machine was putting black spots all the washing. My husband and I both had COVID at the time, so referred him to our plumber. We have heard nothing else, so I assume it is fixed.

Reconditioned/seconds appliances are cheaper and usually just as good. Both my appliances were allegedly damaged on the casing, but I can’t find the damage on either of them.

I supply oven hob, fan - and washing machine if it makes the difference for a good candidate. I never supply fridge freezer, except if left by previous tenant - and I make it clear its their responsibility if they accept it

No white goods, owning the house is a big enough responsibility without added extras.

3 Likes

A good example of why not to supply white goods. I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to claim damages against the clothing.
I always though that white goods were expected to be supplied, however after supplying a brand new cooker and hob in one of my properties, only for them to be totally ruined in less than a year, rather puts me off doing this again.

2 Likes

I supply all white goods and pay for monthly insurance which I use a lot.

1 Like

But can they be supplied as a ‘gift’ whereby the tenant has responsibility for any upkeep or repair??

‘Making it clear’ might involve a written letter clarifying the situation…outside of the actual Tenancy Agreement???

you can make a gift to anyone as long as it is in writing to a tenant that maintainance is THEIR responsibility and they SIGN it

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.