Do you need to speak to each tenant for a flat share tenancy

If you have a tenancy with 2 people who are friends and in a flat share and you got one as lead tenant on your tenancy do you have the responsibility to speak to each tenant?

The current situation is, the lead tenant is not cascading information when she agreed to it when you had a call on something. She said it is not her responsibility to let her to cascade information as she doesn’t get paid as a landlord why should she do the same thing as a landlord.

So, my question is, is it true that it is landlord’s responsibility to tell each tenant and do the talking twice? The other tenant is not cooperating so I ask the lead tenant to sort it out and she is not willing to do it saying don’t put my responsibility on her.

Any suggestion guys on how to deal with those situation?

Are you sure they are still friends…

Under normal circumstances you would communicate with the lead tenant and they would be expected to pass on the info. It sounds like they have fallen out. If that is the case just to keep the peace, I would communicate to both individually by email and text.

1 Like

There is no such thing as a lead tenant in law. If they are joint tenants then you should deal with both.

@Danny19 you really should do some training before you make a costly mistake.

1 Like

well the real world is the best place to train. :slight_smile: you are my trainer XD

Sure, there’s only 160+ laws governing property letting. How hard can it be, right? Also I think that the £30,000 penalty payments from the Council are only for the worst mistakes. Its sometimes less than half that.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.