Does anyone think I have any hope of renting a pet friendly rental

Here here ! I have never understood how a person can put an animal first over themselves and putting a roof over their head.

4 Likes

It is the same with lodgers actually. You do not know what some one is like until they are living under your roof.

1 Like

Do not call me ā€œdarlingā€ I find that remark as mildy insulting.

1 Like

Dear open rent ,

A person looking to rent with pets asked a question and posted it on your forum ā€¦ to landlords ā€¦ landlords give their opinionā€¦I give mine ā€¦ and I get blocked ā€¦ really ā€¦ ???

3 Likes

Exactly! and then itā€™s a devil of a job to move them on. My experience of pet owners is:
The majority donā€™t have a clue how to manage pet behaviour.
They work full time and leave the animal locked in the kitchen all day with a bowl of water. a few biscuits and a rubber bone.
The tenants return home from work tired and irritable and rather than walk their pet they turn the animal out into the landlords garden transforming the area into an unbelievable mess which seldom gets cleaned.
Neighbours having exhausted all reasonable negotiation with belligerent tenants then decide to contact Landlords constantly complaining about the animal being left unattended barking all day.
The animal gets bored and starts a wave of destruction that tenants refuse to replace or repair regardless of all the initial promises made at the start of the tenancy.
The list goes on and on yet the government have decided to throw Landlords under the Bus in exchange for the voting power of tenants in the private rental sector. However this could end up being a shallow victory as a great number of Landlords could easily decide to sell their portfolio thus reducing the availability of private rental property and causing rents to rise unceasingly placing unprecedented pressure on local authority to house great numbers of homeless tenants ā€¦ā€¦ These new rules are counter productive to everyone except power mad politicians.

2 Likes

Maria, you just donā€™t get it do you???
Your wanting to move into a Property that doesnā€™t belong to you! The owner of that property doesnā€™t want your pets or anybody elseā€™s living in HIS property and you should respect the wishes of the property owner which take precedence over your wishes as YOU dont own the property. Why canā€™t you accept that your pets arenā€™t generally welcome in a private property. Infact I would go as far to openly say that you should never have acquired pets in the first place if you donā€™t have your own property to provide the animals with a secure permanent home rather than expect someone else to shoulder the responsibility in reluctantly harbouring your Ark!!

5 Likes

Genuine question, what do you do with your dogs all day when you go out to work? Or if retired how do you feel about those that do leave dogs locked up all day in a single room for 10 hours at a time?

No one disputes that there are good tenants who take responsibility for their dogs, but itā€™s nigh on impossible to prove this in advance. A landlord has too much choice of tenant and will not pick the high risk option when they donā€™t need to.

4 Likes

I donā€™t take Lodgersā€under my roofā€™s

Southill Estates in Bedfordshire have no problem with 1 or 2 pets. They have rules about pets but are understanding that your pet is part of your family. Good landlords with very nice village properties.

1 Like

Your earlier comment ā€œyour (sic) camping in someone elseā€™s houseā€ is very out of order. A tenant is PAYING RENT, not camping. The attitude of a few landlords here (I am one myself) is so condescending - very much ā€œan Englishmanā€™s home is his castleā€, but only when you own it
I have lived abroad for years where I rented & the attitude is very different. A tenant is respected if they pay the rent & this gives them rights. Above all they are NOT ā€œcampingā€.

2 Likes

I think that every landlord and tenant have completely different circumstances and there should be no ā€œone for allā€ impositions.
I have two rental properties. The first has two small dogs which was allowed following previous LL references. They are living in the property long term and one of them is at home all day so no problem.
However, the second one has no pets. The tenants assured me when starting their contract that they had no pets and no plans to get any. However, their numerous visitors do have dogs, which apparently stay in the shed and bark all night. The neighbours complain to meā€¦ the tenants deny it!! You canā€™t dictate who visits the house and who they being with them!!
No easy solution!!

2 Likes

I think the down side of the insurance is that it could put premiums up, but also claims could be contested taking more time up for Landlord, and they donā€™t want the hassle. Someone has to agree with a loss adjustor as to a fee that would cover all the costs. Additionally, the tenant can say he/sheā€™s no trouble, but that simply wouldnā€™t cut it with a Landlord. There is no time to get to know a pet for a Landlord. Just my thoughts on this one.

2 Likes

Fiona, welcome to the real world!!

Hi Iā€™m a property owner and a tenant (I rent my house out in one city & I live and rent in another) We have cats and found it very difficult to rent, as most landlords do say no pets.
We managed to get communication with 1 landlord via the property agent and negotiated an extra ā€˜Pet depositā€™ of another 25% of a months rent, with a clause that we had to professionally clean the carpets on leaving. This worked fine for us but I think the law has changed and Landlords cannot state ā€˜no petsā€™ now? see info from Govt website:

" Under the new Model Tenancy Agreement, announced by Housing Minister Rt Hon Christopher Pincher MP, landlords will no longer be able to issue blanket bans on pets by default.
Instead, consent for pets will be the default position, and landlords will have to object in writing within 28 days of a written pet request from a tenant and provide a good reason.
Currently, just 7% of private landlords advertise pet friendly properties, meaning many people struggle to find suitable homes. In some cases, this has meant people have had to give up their pets all together."
LINK to article:

We always rent our house out to pet owners because of our experience. There has been no problems whatsoever - thereā€™s been cats and dogs in the house at different times, we have a small garden too and no problems there either.
FYI: Iā€™m not on this site very often so if anyone comments on my post and I donā€™t respond, apologies - Iā€™m not ghosting anyone or being rude!

Thanks to Open Rent and all the contributors on this forum its extremely useful!

3 Likes

This is entirely voluntary assured shorthold tenancy agreement. ā€œRecommendedā€ by government.

The ONLY hope of finding a pet-friendly rental property ( after Govt interventions on the Tenant Fee ban ) is to have a robust Guarantor that the landlord can pursue in the Civil courts should you leave the property with pet-damageā€¦
In fact, Guarantors are going to become de rigour. - especially the way the rental Reform is heading.
Its what the govt call " Unintended Consequences " ( for tenants )
Do not think for one second, that what tenants support groups campaign for, is in the interest of the majority of tenants, - its not. It only benefits the minority of bad tenants, at everyone elseā€™s expense.

7 Likes

Can most renters afford to pay Ā£5,000 bond ?
I doubt it very much and as some replies have said the insurance should cover any clean ups.
Yes some people are not good tennants but the majority are clean and good tenants.

insurance will NOT cover clean ups.
Bonds of more than 5 weeks rent are not lawful.

2 Likes

Ditto. In my case we bought a flat that had a cat in before sale. We made the mistake of leaving perfectly good carpets down which we had cleaned. Looked great but within days the smell of cat pee was back. Had to rip up and replace. To be honest I dont mind a dog. One of my tenants has a dog and looks after it and the house beautifully. Not a lover of cats anyway they have no boundarys and walk on the kitchen units. Very unhygienic.

4 Likes

Why? I am a woman but not so feeble that I can take offence to something like that. Keep on subject.

2 Likes