Early termination 4 weeks advice

Hi all, any help would be much appreciated on my circumstances
Currently renting a property, fixed term tenancy until mid May. Landlord wanting to increase the rent at the end of our current contract which we could not afford so decided to look else where. By pot luck we found something and was accepted for property a few days later we really was not expecting it to be so quick and was worried we would end up stuck at this current property awaiting eviction whilst we tried to sort circumstances and I stressed this to the letting agents.
I submitted my notice and tried to bargain for early release on the fact that the landlord wants to increase the rent and once we leave and new tenant comes in he gets his increase sooner rather then later
I was told by letting agents the landlord wouldn’t accept this and instead both me and the landlord agreed with a 7 week notice period so ending the tenancy exactly 4 weeks early aslong as the property is let agreed before we leave and we agree to complying with viewings which ofcourse I agreed too and thought that was a fair compromise

My current issue is the property has been viewed over a dozen times and no one is going for it. I fear I am going to loose my deposit due to the reletting costs and the final months rent we will not be paying due to leaving which in my opinion is strongly unfair since we have accommodated to viewings as best we could, we both work, have 2 children and a dog, dog can’t be in the house for viewings so constant in and out and causing us a lot of agg

We will be leaving 4 weeks prior no matter what and I can’t afford to loose the deposit or be charged any costs and worry about the landlord taking us to court. Will I have any leg to stand on if this happens? Is there any sort of slack for good tenants? We have paid every months rent for 4 years, no damage to property, paid our own money to do up garden, a few repairs haven’t been carried out - can I use any of this to support my case?
Any opinions / advice will be strongly welcomed. I just feel this is so so unfair just over 4 weeks early termination just because we couldn’t afford the increase :frowning:

Four years? How many tenancy agreements have you signed?

Hi there. I’m sorry to hear about your situation. It’s fair of the landlord to let you out early, although remember the tenancy agreement you signed is a legal contract. Is there a notice period for the tenant listed in your contract? Any break clause?

Something I read on here said that deposits aren’t meant for missed rent, only for damages, but that might be for tenants who skip out on their last month’s rent without agreeing a leave date with the landlord.

When’s your final date in the 7 weeks? Any particular reason you think people aren’t going for the place after viewing?

Have you paid first month’s rent and deposit on the new place? If not you could ask the new landlord if they’re willing to keep you as a new tenant but move in a month later, thus saving you a month’s rent you can give to the current landlord.

Something I’ll never do is agree to pay rent if a new tenant can’t be found for the very reason you’re now in a situation. I’d also never spend my own money making a property I don’t own better than it was when I first got it because it’s not mine and it’s wasted money. The minute I move out that money is wasted and landlords don’t have to reimburse you, although they might appreciate what you did and might make compromises for you or give you a break - they don’t have to. I’ve even heard of landlords disliking changes tenants have made and charging them damages.

Things can happen fast, within a few days, as you well know. The property might yet get rented to a new tenant in the nick of time and all your worry wouldn’t have made a bit of difference. Keep going and do your best. Increases in rent suck. Increases you can’t afford are horrid. But agreeing to pay rent until a new tenant is found is the worst. Lesson learned for you unfortunately. I feel for you. Would’ve could’ve should’ve.

One each year unfortunately with an increase each time. I don’t ever want to be in this situation again :frowning:

Hi Nicole,

Thank you for your sympathy I’m glad you can see from my point of view how unfair this is feeling :frowning:

The house we are moving too wanted us in 4 weeks from accepted which would have been in around 2 weeks time. I was refused release from my letting agents / landlord and managed to agree on the 7 weeks which takes me up to mid April meaning the landlord gets one more months rent out of us and then early release as long as let agreed before we leave.
We leave in just under 5 weeks now so time is ticking :frowning:

I’m due to pay one more months rent this week and I really don’t want to if I’m honest, knowing we could potentially loose our deposit over this situation is making me hesitant. I understand we signed the contract but I just feel it’s so unfair to penalise us when we have been nothing but compliant with letting people in and out of the house. I think it’s not going due to the size of the property, the garden really isn’t great. It’s a tiered garden and pretty unusable and very dangerous for children. Landlord has put the rent up to match the rate in the area which is fair but I honestly would not move here for the money, you could get much better for that money in my opinion. Sounds awful but I’m praying someone desperate that needs something comes along and just over looks the garden :frowning:

Nothing paid to new property yet, have to do this the week before moving in which isn’t cheap for us either! We cannot afford to loose that deposit when paying 2.5k in deposit and months rent up front.

Just wish current landlord will cut us some slack :frowning: but yes I agree no more money spent from us in future!!! Nothing but a loss!

Maybe not so unfortunate. What I’m fishing for is whether the LL has fulfilled his obligations in regard to your deposits. Do you have prescribed information and deposit scheme leaflets for each of those four tenancies and did you receive these within 30 days of each one starting?

The landlord appears to be acting within the law and you should not really have accepted a new tenancy to start before your current tenancy expires.

As suggested above, you could check that all is in order with the deposit as a bargaining chip or that your tenancy agreement really doesnt give you the right to serve notice during the fixed/initial term, (some do).

I have just gone back on each agreement we signed and leaflets attached on each agreement :frowning: but thank you for the help

Hello, haven’t accepted a new agreement
Current tenancy ends mid May we was given the heads up that once this fixed term ends the rent will be higher if we intend to stay and if we would wish to sign a new tenancy
Hence we have found a new property and wish to be released from current tenancy 4 weeks early

OK, well at least you haven’t lost any money on a new place. If the landlord won’t release you, you will have to search again nearer the time.

1 Like