EICR and EEIR same or different?

Hi

I have received an email from Openrent Newsletter. It’s first line states
"Hi <>,

Properties in England must have an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) before new tenancies are started from 1st July 2020."

I have got one Electrical test done that I booked via OpenRent in October 2019… Please find the certificate attached.

I have two questions

1. Is the test that I carried out in October 2019 (Electrical Equipment Inspection Record - EEIR) same as Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)?
  2. Does this test Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) needs to be carried out for the existing tenancies as well, as the email says “…before new tenancies started from 1st July 2020”?

Please provide your suggestions.
Thank you
Taj

Hi Taj,

From the items in the itinerary, it looks like it was a test of electrical appliances, not installations. Ovens, freezers, etc. are appliances, whereas installations are part of the structure of the property. When you secured the above report, did you order Portable Appliance Testing (PAT)? PAT is different from an EICR.

The legislation (here) is clear that an EICR is what is needed for properties let with new tenancies in England from 1st July 2020, and then for ongoing tenancies from 1st April 2021.

I hope this helps,
Sam

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the clear response. Yes, I guess I had requested for PAT.

Despite the fact that I could wait until April 2021, I think I should go ahead with EICR tests sooner rather than later for

1. Safety of my tenants
  2. EICR test stays valid for 5 years.

Thanks again
:slight_smile:

1 Like