Electric safety check

Hi,
I wonder if anyone know this electric safety check? My house is a new-build less than 8 years old. Will that need any check for this? I had the impression that gas check is required annually and the electric check is every 10 years. Is that correct?

Hi Kai, a valid gas safety certificate is needed for the whole course of the tenancy and each certificate expires after one year, so you need to get a new one every year.

From 1st July this year, you will need an EICR every five years, too, so you might as well get it as soon as possible as it might be hard to book an engineer closer to the commencement of the new rules.

Sam

1 Like

Does this mean i need an electricity cert for existing tenants from July 2020 or do I have until july 2021

New tenancies from 1st July 2020

Existing tenancies from 1st April 2021

Sam

Hi Sam,

Could you tell me how a lapsed 12mths agreement stands now it’s on a month by month, July or April? Thanks

Are you asking whether a tenancy’s fixed term ending, and the automatic creation of a periodic tenancy, is treated as a ‘new tenancy’, and therefore falls under the EICR rules from 1st July 2020?

If so, then no. A tenancy becoming periodic would not be treated as a new tenancy in this situation.

Sam

1 Like