Electrical question

Mark, just so you know for the future, a standard 3 pin mains socket is rated at 13 amps.
2kw is 8.6 amps (Amps = Watts/Volts) so fine, and you are right, a washing machine or dishwasher can draw quite a bit, but will not under normal conditions (not faulty) draw too much for the socket.
What you often find on lower quality electrical goods is poor quality cable, which gets hot in use as it is too thin.
It is almost unheard of for a socket to fail and the cable behind is at least 2.5mm core rated to 30-40 amps, though it is worth considering how many “heavy” drawing items (washing machine, dishwasher etc.) you are using simultaneously.
Always get an electrician in for professional advice, but normally it is always the appliance.

1 Like

Thanks for your piece of mind Carl, I do some renovation myself including changing sockets sometimes. So considering I am on a budget, before i call an electrician, i order the new dishwasher plug myself get it connected and socket changed. (following correct procedure of course). what the worst could happen right? (assuming i don’t do stupid things)

I get a socket tester showing correct connection and right voltage (240)

Then, if the appliance is not working or trips again, then is obviously the appliance. So simply getting it replaced.

1 Like

Sounds like a sensible approach.

If this is to establish who is liable, tenant or Landlord, personally I would just have it fixed at my cost & be glad the house didn’t burn down… pheww lucky escape!

Had a similar experience a few years ago, with the arrogant idiot tenant then bypassing the fused socket on the main fuse board. Before telling me of course that his dishwasher and washing machine wouldn’t work. Electrician ended up having to replace all cables to the the sink and a new main fuse box. Luckily the whole house did not end up burnt to the ground!!

sorry i don’t understand, what do you mean bypassing the fuse socket and what were they trying to do?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.