Tennant complain about power socket

In one bedroom there is three sockets. there is a dresser and a plug that doesn’t work under it and some lights on the dresser that also don’t work. I can’t replace the dresser as its part of a built in wardrobe. the tenannt is complaining that the socket doesn’t work, but there are plenty of other sockets in the room. Am I obliged to fix the socket or lights, as it hasn’t been working for 5 years, and it will cost money to investigate and I don’t think it will work anyway.

surely you have an elec. certificate which would mean the socket should be replaced

2 Likes

I do have an EICR but its not dangerous, it just doesn’t work.

Why not buy another socket and replace it .cost a fiver. that may solve it

1 Like

There is a socket but no electricity coming out of it, in the EICR do they have to check that every socket works, as they appear to have missed that one

I wouldn’t bother with the dresser light or socket if there are other sockets to use. EICR Safety is not a concern

1 Like

Thank you Shantala for your view

Unless it was identified as non working when the tenant viewed the property you would be obliged to repair it.

3 Likes

You say it has not been working for five years, did you ever think about fixing it? It’s not nice to have something in your flat permanently broken, don’t you think? The problem doesn’t go away just by ignoring it. Your tenants are within their right to complain and it is your duty to fix it.

That said, if you really don’t want to fix it, you could talk nicely with your tenants and ask them whether it’s particularly important to them. Maybe they’ll be happy if you give them an extension cable so that they have power at that place or something like that. Tell future tenants that it doesn’t work when they are viewing the property if you want to avoid responsibility. Or just remove the socket completely, which will be cheaper than fixing it.

2 Likes

Sometimes an electrician may disable a particular socket if he thinks that it is not fit for purpose. When I bought my last property there were a couple of defunct sockets so I had them removed by my electrician. Where they cannot be removed, I had the socket replaced with a blank plate. That way the tenant cannot complain.

3 Likes

Buyva blank facia and replace the useless socket. Wires should be insulated.

1 Like

Change it to a blank cover if there is not electricity supply to it.

2 Likes

Thanks thats a good solution

Thanks good solution

Thanks good solution, I’m assuming if it doesn’t work there is no power supply to it.

Check it out for yourself and if it is live, go and spend a pittance on a new larger socket and it it.
Even a triple switched socket with a back box from Wicks will be under £20.
The tenant may well be impressed.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.