Electrical Testing in Property

Hello,

I’m researching into the rules around the Electrical tests that are required when renting out a AST.

I’ve seen that by law I must get a EICR inspection - and was wondering does this cover things like;

• Wired smoke alarms?

• Extractor Fan in kitchen

• Electric Fire?

Or would I have to get an Electrician in to do separate tests on these?

If so, would it be best for me to completely remove the electric fire and tenant use central heating only?

What’s easiest and everyone’s thoughts / advice on this?

Thank you
Star

Yes apart from the fire if it has a plug in which it should have a PAT test

Hi Jason,
Thank you for responding back.

The only way I can get around this, would be to completely remove the electric fire.

I have no other items in my property other than the fire, as I’ll be offering my property unfurnished.

Is it legal, to rent out property just with central heating and no fire?

Tia S

Pat testing is typically optional. (Though sensible). Essential in HMOS and some councils require it.
Central heating only is fine.

1 Like

When the time comes for me to rent I will remove the electric fire. Makes it easier all round for me. And safer as these electric fires are quite unpredictable and can be unsafe.

Thanks mark for helping me clear this up.

You need an EICR even if you have no items that require a PAT test.

1 Like

lucinda5 is correct.

The EICR is a straight forward process. You needn’t change your electrical installation, unless the Sparky tells you after the inspection that’s its not compliant with rules.

PAT testing is different. If your electrical fireplace has a plug, then i don’t think this would need to be tested as it is not a portable appliance if its fixed, however I’d check this with the sparky. If it does need PAT testing, then why not just swap out the plug for a hard wired switched fuse spur?

1 Like

I have insurance through Directline and by chance I was talking to them about a renewal and they mentioned that there insurance requires a PAT on plugged items !
Not law but there policy.

1 Like

Good info….something else to be aware of! Do you know if this applies to tenant supplied items?

1 Like

I think it just be easier for me to remove the electric fire and do not furnish my home.

It’s a right game isn’t it!

I think it’s just easier for LLs not to provide any furnishings inc white goods etc with plugs. That way we only need to do the EICR

i never provide white goods

1 Like

As stated what to do.

If you you provide a fridge, freezer, washing machine, dryer or anything with a plug just get them PAT tested by the sparkie doing the test, it will cost you little at the same time as the electrical testing.

You may need your consumer panel changed and uprating of the protection. It’s good practice to get a panel with a slightly bigger capacity for any future additions.

2 Likes

Unless you intend to remove the lighting, plug sockets and all forms of electricity then you have to have an electric check.
If you want a successful tenancy then make your tenants as comfortable as you would want to be in your own home. Its a simple equation, you provide a home that’s safe and comfortable and the tenant pays you for that service.

1 Like

Hi Chris,

I understand this. I was mainly referring to the PAT testing. I know I’d have to do the EICR every 5 years or when a new tenant is going to move in.

I have since decided, should I rent out my apartment, it will be totally unfinished with no appliances for me to be responsible to PAT test.

1 Like

correct move. no tenant will look after white goods as much as they would if they paid for them

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.