Electricians License to rip you off!

I had a similar experience. Not expecting anything from socalled professional bodies. Time for a “rogue” register.

I think we should all make the effort to Post this issue on as many discussion sites as possible.
We could also write to our MP’s about this dreadful situation where we are being help to ransom and ripped off.

1 Like

Just called NICEIC to check on the 3 year v 5 year validity thing. They said that as the cert only has 2 very minor ‘C3’ ratings which are recommendations only and nothing that causes concern or may cause concern in the near future then the retest period should be 5 years. It can be less at the electrician’s discretion but there must be a sound reason for this. The fact that the property is tenanted carries zero weight. I will speak to my electrician and hopefully he will concede and change my certificate otherwise NICEIC said that I can raise a complaint. They are drafting an email that I can show to the electrician to ‘educate’ him.

1 Like

That gives me a bit more confidence in the system.

1 Like

Hi Nicola28
I am looking for a reliable electrician in the Maidenhead area. Would be glad to know who you found. Thank you.

Had an EICR done with a quote for remedial of £1,300 for new consumer unit, and £200 for further investigation of high resistance in socket circuit. Clearly I went elsewhere and different electrician charged £350 for new consumer unit and found the fault in 3 mins, he was shocked original electrician couldn’t work out fault. I want to complain to original company, I guess there are no laws on what charge but does anyone know how long an electrician has to send through an EICR if classed as potentially dangerous (c2). It took them 3 weeks so would have thought it should be quicker than this if they are saying it’s potentially dangerous?

I would advise you write to their governing body with evidence eg NICEIC
etc
Last time I did that they were removed off the register

1 Like

If they removed a bad Guy, that’s good News.

I found an honest and reasonable Electrician eventually, happy to share his details. He’s based near Stratford upon Avon, but was happy to do my properties in Banbury, Bicester and Oxford.

I bought a property with an EICR. The property had been completely rewired and the EICR issued by the electricians that did the work in December 2016. Obviously the 5 years is up this December but the electricians stated on the EICR that it should be tested in 10 years time which means it should be done before December 2026. Do I ignore the 10 year requirement and get it retested this year?

Get it done this year
Legislation changed since 2016

You are right. The Government has gone doolally with introductions of rules and regs against landlords.
I have no issues with Gas Certs , gas is dangerous.
But the rest is explained by a callous statement from a Minister who said something like ‘‘we will not stop until they (Landlords) squeal’’.

1 Like

Hi Robert please could you share with me the details of your electrician in Tamworth? Cheers D

We use NSE (Nationwide securities & electrical ltd). They cover Staffordshire and further afield
I have used them for a decade and have not yet regretted it. They have done my PIR’s in HMO for years and don’t rip off their customers. They know how EICR wrk
Their review period on EICR depends on the state of electrics. It can vary from 3- 5 years

Hi Dave

Sorry for the delay in replying.

ASG Electrical Solutions

Steve Watkins 07966 391405

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob,
No worries and thanks very much.
Cheers,
Dave

I just had someone in to do my first EICR as a landlord.
He charged me £461 for doing the inspection, plus at my request changing three sockets, a light switch, and three downlighter lightbulbs. He said at the time there was nothing much wrong, except one C2 fault which needed more investigation (an open circuit).

However,I’ve just got his quote which is for over £2000. Included is investigating the open circuit but also a cost of replacing every single one of my relatively new downlights (C2 - but never mentioned on the visit, even though he changed some of the lightbulbs), a broken hall light switch (C3 - never mentioned on the visit, no idea which one that is), and investigating a mystery circuit that he says is mislabelled (C2 - three hours work budgeted for, not mentioned before).

But it is the materials costs which are truly shocking. He wants to charge £11 plus VAT for a 9V battery for my smoke alarm (you can get 3 for six quid from Amazon), £14 for a light switch, £220 for an extractor hood which costs £150 at AO.com, and £650 for a new 18th edition distribution board (c3) which looks like it costs about £70 wholesale.

What am I supposed to do about this? Do I pay another electrician another £400 to do an EIC inspection to see if all this stuff needs to be done and if he overcharges me on materials like this guy does? Or do I argue the costs? Do I even need an upgraded distribution board??

I was charged £100 and got a pass. This guy is a rip off report him to the electrical associations and find someone else

I am a Landlord and a retired Electrician, sounds like you have employed a rogue. I would definitely get someone else in, but don’t tell them you have had a previous inspection. Once armed with the 2nd report you can then decide whether you should report him as a rogue.

4 Likes

In August, I went through a website with a guaranteed price, £69 for a one bedroom apartment. No remarks what-so-ever.

I would not pay him a single pound, report him and find a professional one.

Some serious crooks out there.

3 Likes

alranson,
Try and see if these guys have electricians in your neighbourhood. 4-bedroom in London would be £115-£130.