Enviromental health help

After landlord refused to fix my draughty windows we got enviromental health to inspect them, they phoned landlord, couple of weeks later we told EH that we hadnt heard from landlord. They rang landlord again and rang us back to say a window replacement company would be out next day to fix the windows. They came next day and in under an hour they fixed both draughty windows. He said landlord would be charged £100. Seems the threat of a fine from EH got the landlord to do repairs. Seems landlord didnt want to spend any money.

2 Likes

Good outcome. Congratulations.

2 Likes

You don’t get much for a £100 call out these days, I wonder what they did? replaced a latch? Must have been the smallest, pettiest thing.

2 Likes

Just replaced the rusty hinges

1 Like

That’s what I don’t like about landlords. They offer a house to stay in but refuse to repair the damages to the house because they simply don’t want to pay. I mean, it’s their responsibility, right?
It is better to talk with EH directly or the landlords will waste a lot of time.

1 Like

You always need to give the landlord the opportunity to make the repairs first.

2 Likes

Thats what we did, first his handyman friend failed to show, then he banged the windows shut himself and told us not to open them! We text that this wasnt a proper repair and he refused to fix until EH were contacted.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if you end up with a sect 21 very soon .
Going to EH is not the right thing to do , you should have given the LL time to speak to handyman and get a action plan in place

1 Like

Well it took landlord 6 weeks to fix my heating and water tap, his handyman is his best mate who was booked in several times and didnt show. With the windows he didnt show again, we gave landlord chance to fix them, he banged them shut, didnt fix hinges then refused to get proper tradesman. Section 21 is banned now for 6 months after you contact EH about no repairs.

@becktheharper Bit of a sweeping generalisation there! I had something very similar with a tenant a couple of weeks ago and my upvc man fixed the issue within 48 hours. Don’t tar us all with the same brush please.

3 Likes

Did the council issue the LL with an Improvement notice or Emergency repair notice?

1 Like

section 21 banned in that case for 6 months nteresting . Can you post the link to the law on this? Thanks

Wish my landlord was as fair as you.

Your landlord cannot give you a section 21 notice for 6 months if the council gives them an:

• improvement notice
  • emergency works notice

Not just for contacting them….

2 Likes

Congratulations on a positive outcome. How long did it take for EH to come out to investigate?

I believe that only 7 times did EH put a sect 21 ban in place across England last year !
I was speaking to my brothers mate who is a housing lawyer and he said EH depts in councils as so scared of ligation that only a few dead cert cases go the full distance, and it happened with my wife’s flat , she had a visit and because the freeholder had disappeared they went after her even though she had completed the work ,she was living their at the time and got a solicitor involved and they backed down quick

1 Like

Within a few days, gave landlord 2 weeks. Landlord didnt bother but after 2nd call from EH landlord had tradesman booked in next day.

those sort of hinges need a little bit of oil on them every 6 months to keep them “easy”

1 Like

@Frank1 did the council issue an improvement notice or emergency repair notice? Or was it a telephone conversation?

eh officer phoned landlord as far as i know