EPCs not going to get a C grade

The landlord blog posted this in the last few days

Despite popular belief, there is currently NO legislation in place for landlords in England & Wales requiring an EPC rating of C or above in 2025.
… but there’s no smoke without fire, so where’s this information coming from?
There is currently a Minimum Energy Performance of Buildings (No. 2) Bill working its way through parliament, which proposes the following:

• The Secretary of State must amend the Energy Efficiency (Private Rented 15 Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015 (SI 2015/962) to require that, subject to subsection (2) -
    • (a) all new tenancies must have an energy efficiency performance of at least EPC Band C from 31 December 2025; and
    • (b) all existing tenancies must be at least EPC Band C from 31 December 20 2028 where practical, cost-effective and affordable as defined under section 1(4).
      Will it pass? My Magic 8 ball says, “Cannot predict now.”
      It may, it may not pass. But the point is, nothing is set in stone, and that’s what I wanted to make crystal clear, because many landlords are under the impression it’s a done deal.
      Needless to say, as soon as I have an update, I’ll do my utmost to keep you informed.

If you don’t already I suggest you subscribe to the landlord blog - it is free and gives common sense advice.

2 Likes

Bills appear to be taking an especially long time right now. Maybe they always were and I didn’t notice, but I imagine that with covid and Brexit the government’s priority is not small changes to tenancy law.

If you’ll still sleep easier selling them, you’re certainly allowed to of course. If you have happy tenants and reliable income from it, though, I don’t think you need to rock the boat right now.

1 Like

My view is that anyone wanting to live in a historic property will have little or no interest in EPG’s as the system for calculating is unable to compute the hollistic nature of historic building design .

EPG’s are irrelevant , quality of life is more important

2 Likes

Andy9 true I lived in an old millers house with 2 ft thick walls I always knew it would not be totally warm …even tho i insulated it . But boy the setting by the river was worth it. You can live the dream in a historic house

If this comes to fruition I hope I’m out of the game before it takes effect.

One of my flats, which I used to live in by myself 4 years ago, recently got a D rating. This is crazy. I paid £35 per month year-round and usually had a credit at the end of the year. I.e. Roughly £400 per year on heating and hot water. To me, it’s madness to give that a D rating.

Why did he? Because I had replaced the old economy seven storage heaters with high performing oil filled electric radiators. And I had taken the water tank off economy seven circuit. EPC guy didn’t realise I lowered my bills that way, but the rating was dropped.

It should be mandatory to look at ACTUAL consumption and not a ridiculous amateur ticking boxes

Sure, I could spend £10k fixing things and save the tenant £100-200 per year. But that is just plain stupid.

4 Likes

Hopefully if it becomes law there’ll be enough pressure in response to improve the rating system.

1 Like

Also the natural ventilation in older building makes for a healthier environment . Whilst saving energy we tend to prevent ventilation which is so necessary to good health . A breathing house allow s it’s occupants to breath too.

3 Likes

good point Andy . I was brough up in prefab . . No insulation. Only a coal fire. I have never been off sick or claimed sick pay in 50 odd years of work apart from having appendix out . If cold I put on an extra layer of thermals

1 Like

So many people are having health problems from mold and insulation that turns out to be toxic. (ex asbestos)

We used to build homes that suited the climate then let ourselves get used to the seasonal changes.

We didn’t have air conditioning or radiators and survived. It’s better for the environment as well.

1 Like

The Government understands that cars over 40 year old do not need an MOT as they can never meet today’s standards. The same should apply to old houses!

3 Likes

Gregory I like that way of thinking. i wish I had thought of that !

Hi Greg,

I’m in the same position as you. Victorian mid terrace house. I spent just over £20k on a new flat roof and double glazing in the last 4 years. Dec 2021, roof works just complete to latest standard. I’m awaiting a building control cert, I was informed by EPC this is the only acceptable evidence, despite photographs, invoices and a noticeable height difference between my roof, and next door. I’ve also learnt that I will move from a Low D to a high D.

There is another option and that is to insulate the 2 exterior walls. First though I would want a surveyor’s opinion on impact to

I am about to raise this with the local council (London), half their stock which they currently charge a license fee for will no longer become rentable in 2025 given my recent experience. This will have a financial impact on their pocket so I feel it’s appropriate to get them onboard.

Someone mentioned an exemption on this thread, I will certainly look to explore that suggestion. It’s doesn’t feel right when you improve a property at such cost that it’s not sufficient enough and you merely move within a band.

1 Like