Eviction of disabled tenant

I may be bringing negative here, however, I am considering taking on a disabled tenant, providing everything checks out of course.

My question is, are disabled tenants harder to evict than none disabled? I understand that it may be more difficult should a breach of lease be directly connected to their disability? Am I heading towards a minefield?

I appreciate this doesn’t answer the actual eviction question, but for what it’s worth we have a couple of tenants with disabilities (physical and mental). In both cases, they were genuinely delighted and grateful to be considered, having been overlooked many times.

One (physical disability & cannot work) keeps the house immaculately and the other (mental health issues & does work) thanks me every time I see her for renting the property to her and always pays her rent 4 days early.

They are both flawless tenants touches wood and, subject to the usual checks and good old fashioned gut feeling, would not hesitate to consider a disabled tenant again. I do wonder if someone disabled becomes a longer term tenant, simply because it is so hard to find a suitable property.

Overall, I’ve had more issues with people who are not disabled :wink:

Best of luck with the situation, I’ll be interested to hear what happens, along with the views of others.

3 Likes

In theory a tenant with a disability is no more difficult to evict than anyone else, although someone with a mental health condition may more readily qualify for the breathing space. In practice, it may prove more difficult and I dont know how bailiffs handle it.

2 Likes

Hi I am also considering taking on a disabled couple . One doesn’t work and the other is about to take early retirement . They will be on benefits and both get pips. Part of me wants to help but im concerned that if they dont keep up with the rent, would it be difficult to evict them ?
thanks