House for rent does it sound legit?

Its a scam … I saw and applied to 3 of these and they always live abroad and the rent says it includes bills and council tax and seem better value than most rents around. Very clever … as they say they are on Open Rent or Air B&B and that you pay the deposit through that reputable name! I wonder how many deposits they are getting!!

2 Likes

I disagree. I rent my properties via market place on a regular basis…used agents in the past but the fees are ridiculous and they didn’t listen to my requests of non sharers .I use open rent for reference and so far all has been fine…

yes, of course you do.

Just because you may be on the straight and narrow, doesn’t make it safe for others. OR does provide some safeguards for renters, without inconveniencing landlords too much, and their advertising isn’t too expensive.

1 Like

Lindsay your advice not to rent from a potential LL advertising property on Facebook is rather silly as not all Landlords use open rent and by boycotting property advertised on FB applicants could be missing out on a home. Yes there are a number of property scams going round but with a little common sense they can be avoided.

1 Like

It seems more prevalent on Facebook, as they take no steps to ensure ownership of the property or protect tenant and landlord.

I have seen many prime ads on FB for gadgets at prices that seem a little too low. On investigating I find they have just copied text and pictures from Kickstarter or other websites, then charge about 25% of the original price. The product will never arrive (it didn’t exist when the ad was placed)

I notify FB each time, and the usually remove it. but it takes a few weeks for the whole process.

Don’t trust FB ads without thorough checking.

1 Like