House for rent does it sound legit?

Hi I’m new here and have a question! I came across a house I like which is local to me and has everything I need/ want. I contact the person via Facebook messenger as I saw the advertisement through facebook marketplace, we have then exchanged emails and said because she lives aboard she will be using open rent which is fine. But because I’m new to this I would really like some answers, the landlord said we need to send her all my details such as name email address which is normal and she’s asked for a proof of id like passport. However the house isn’t advertised on open rent? She said after I have sent her my all details I listed above she will give my details to open rent and they will send me a link to manage a booking with the contract and keys to me it sounds legit but just wanted to make sure as the house isn’t up for advertising. Thank you :smiling_face:

Do not part with any money except thru open rent Facebook is full of scams Check she owns it by Land Registry Website

4 Likes

You have written exactly what is going on with me. I wonder if it’s the same house?!

1 Like

Same scammer maybe ? PWC

2 Likes

What house is it if you don’t mind me asking ? It could be the same!

1 Like

What house is it if you don’t mind me asking. As it might be the same one?

In Montpelier, Bristol

Can I ask what the so called landlord name is as the house I want is based in Bedford

Landlord is called Samantha Easton.

Is that the same name?

No it’s a different one but obviously doing the same thing

3 Likes

OR do not keep the keys for any property as far as I am aware. Its a scam.

1 Like

FB Market Place has become scam central. Ferrari for £5,000? No problem sir, just send me money and your bank details for deposit return …

2 Likes

If you rent a property via Facebook you will almost certainly be ripped off. No legitimate, reliable landlord would advertise exclusively there.

3 Likes

@Sophie7 , Everything that looks to good to be true be careful. Scammers will go through this process i will send you the keys but you have to pay deposit bla bla… house is a big deal no one trust others except through agencies that will take responsibility or by himself making sure everything goes fine.

So facebook marketplace is all scam 600 pound two bedrooms :joy:.

1 Like

Don’t do anything via Facebook irrespective of how legit the person seems. Open rent liaises direct with interested party via their portal as does the landlord.
This also sounds like potential identity fraud with the personal details you would be passing to them

2 Likes

I’d echo other’s calls to go through OR, not FB or direct. If OR had anything to do with this it would be on their website.

OR check on ownership, and hold into the deposit and 1st months rent, rather than give it to the landlord straight away, this does help reduce risk of scams.

FB is a quagmire of dodgy ads, I double check everything I see there, and have reported 5 or 6 advertisers, but they’ll just pop up somewhere else.

1 Like

NO THIS IS A BIG SCAM ON FACEBOOK MATKRT PLACE PLEASE DO NOT SEND YOUR PERSONAL DETAILS LIKE PASSPORT AND BANL DETAILS , BIG SCAMMERS ARE ON FACEBOOK MARKET PLACE
PLEASE DO NOT GET TRAPPED AS ON OPEN RENT FEW FAKE TENATS ARE THERE TOO, FALSELY DO ADVERTISE
PLEASE BE AWARE SND GO TO HIGH STREET AGENCY AND FIND THROUGH ESTATE AGENCY ONLY.

This is not legit at all.

1 Like

Please be exceedingly careful! A lovely couple in one of my houses got scammed for a lot of money before they became my tenants.
The simple rules to follow might be
Don’t part with a penny until you have
(a) viewed the property inside and out.
(b) Check the land registry to see if the property owner details match the same as the Landlords.
always suggest the above caution to any applicants for my properties and I also provide them
With my landline phone number and home address.

2 Likes

Basically had exactly the same scenario unfold for me through a FB add.
It may seem like it aligns with the open rent method of renting but it’s a total scam. The property is unlikely on open rent, and so you can’t use it as a platform to safely put a holding fee down. But you shouldn’t put any money down until seeing the property.
I had lots of seemingly normal communications with the “landlord”, they said they lived abroad, to send over details, ID, deposit ect ( which I didn’t send), then heard absolutely nothing back when I said I wasn’t comfortable with any of the above and asked if there was a way to view the property that we were both comfortable with. Basically DONT do it!
Good look on your house hunting though!

1 Like