Landlord has put my name on Water Bill

you have not agreed to share your personal data with the utility company, so it is clearly a breach of GDPR and you can easily sue the landlord for that or report at the very least

This isnā€™t about being wrong!! Itā€™s a data protection issue with the LL

ā€¦or they could have got the information from the electoral roll??

5 Likes

It doesnā€™t matter if they are in arrears or whatever itā€™s a serious breach of data protection if he did indeed give the name of the tenant . If LL actually opened the account in tenant name itā€™s fraud. Whatā€™s wrong with you not to comprehend this. Itā€™s not about a company getting a bill wrong!!!ā€™n the tenants has never had bills or a contract fir that matter & never gave their name. Shocking responses from LLā€™s

Utility companies always write ā€œto the occupierā€ until tenant opens an account. Iā€™ve moved 5 times in the last year. I know!!

Dear Amy. Nothing has been actual confirmed yet. You are clearly out of touch with real life and live in a cocoon of stress and unrealistic expectations and very keen to point the finger of blame.

Your attitude is offensive.

We are mearly trying to establish rational possible reasons why what the landlord has been accused of would have done this. Nobody has said he hasnā€™t or has done what heā€™s being accused of and no one is condoning it if it wasnā€™t agreed.

Get off your high horse and show some rational consideration before ranting like a nut job.

In reality who on earth would go to the time, effort and expense to sue someone who put their name on a bill. What has tenant even lost? They might get awarded 30 minutes of wasted time by an accommodating judge. Any sane person would just ring the supplier and rectify.

GDPR is actually a joke, itā€™s neither policed nor understood by most,

5 Likes

Is it a serious breach of the data protection act to pass tenants name onto the council? Actually you are talking utter utter rubbish. A landlord can supply tenant details to utility providers. The issue is simply down to the terms of the AST so any breach would in respect of this. Does the tenant pay for water separately or not.

2 Likes

Mark. You are unbelievably offensive. Rude beyond belief. Iā€™ve dealt a lot with and GDPR ICO & have managed to get ICO to act on several breaches!!! One being a solicitor (who is the date protection. Officer of the firm) who passed on information about me to a 3rd party!! Theyā€™ve been reprimanded & are being given a chance to make it right. You absolutely can not start soliciting people without consent. When it comes to council tax, that is a completely different matter & I find it outrageous they force LL to give information about tenants & visa versa. Get a life. Iā€™m done with this childish abuse

1 Like

google Can a landlord reveal a tenants name to L A and Utility companies ? Could be another person in the property has been troublemaker But let blame the easiest person to blame BEFORE PROOF (5 times in a year / Must be the landlords fault I have moved so much)

2 Likes

What you CAN do

As a landlord,you can disclose information about your tenants in certain situations.Itā€™s good practice to inform your tenants at the start of their tenancy of the circumstances in which you would disclose their personal information.

A landlord can:

• Give the names of new tenants to utility companies
  • Give the forwarding addresses of former tenants to utility companies when they have unpaid utility bills or when their accounts are in credit
  • Disclose tenantsā€™ personal information when there is a legal duty to do so
  • Ask a letting agent for the tenantā€™s references
  • Disclose information to a tracing agent or debt collection company when a tenant has left without paying their rent
  • Inform tenants when another tenant has failed to pay their rent if that non-payment directly affects those tenants
  • Give a tenantā€™s personal information in an emergency, such as contact details to a tradesman who needs to carry out urgent repairs

What you CANā€™T do

A landlord canā€™t:

• Display a list of tenants who are in rental arrears
  • Disclose tenantsā€™ personal information generally

SOURCE:Directline

4 Likes

Pot and kettleā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

5 Likes

Spot on!. 5 times in a year, her nerves must be in tatters. Iā€™d love to know the reasons behind this tale.

4 Likes

Hang on a minute, Amy isnā€™t even the OP - why is she getting so het up about it??

2 Likes

Do you have proof of that fraud allegation?

Have you tried the common sense approach of contacting the utility supplier, to establish the circumstances, and confirm that the landlord is responsible for the utilities if, as you state, your contract includes them.

Have you tired speaking to your landlord?

You need to take a serious step back from your antagonism, and establish the prevailing facts and circumstances, before winding yourself up into a frenzy.

3 Likes

You may well be right but you do need proof to be able to accuse someone and take this further.

Without proof this would not stand up in a Court of Law, it would be thrown out.

I have received bills from utility companies thanking me for signing up to their service and I did no such thing.

Contact the LL and the water company and get their response then decide your next move.

4 Likes

This isnā€™t about Northey not being correct. Itā€™s about getting the proof so the OP can actually take action against the person responsible if this is the case.

1 Like

everyone is comenting except Northey ???

Did you get to the bottom of this Northey? Curious of the outcome.

3 Likes

Due to the lack of response, Iā€™m guessing he did, and it turned out to be nothing as to what he was accusing.

Why would someoneā€™s first thought after receiving that bill, to comment accusing on a forum, before even attempting to find the facts of the situation is beyond me.

Oh, and moving 5 times in a year? Iā€™m guessing youā€™re an absolute blast for landlords Amy!

3 Likes

Naughty Northey. Naughty

3 Likes