Landlord replies

Why do landlords sometimes not reply to your enquiries?

1 Like

bad manners sadly… too many applicants to reply to

1 Like

I know it’s a nitemare but it’s the same for tenants. I’ve been looking for 6 months and having no luck .would like to know what puts landlords off?

1 Like

I always reply “sorry I cannot help you” . Problem is if you give a reason the tenant does not like, you will never hear the last of it,…if the tenant has landlords mobile or E mail… No one likes to be turned down ,some properties I have not been able to buy , but thats life and you have to move on

1 Like

Problem is we are going to be homeless in a month and no prospect of getting a house …we have the income to afford a house and have a good reference from our landlord .she is selling the house so we have to move .council are useless .

1 Like

what about housing associations ? Are they in the same boat as the council ?

Ment to say that .all they’ve got are homeless furnished flats .just don’t know what landlords want .or is it just too many people to choose from

1 Like

too many people I guess

It’s the nature of the beast. About 60% of tenants who express interest in my property and who I then respond to, never reply.

1 Like

Any tips from landlords like yourself .even things that put you off tenants. Any info would be helpful

A landlord’s main concerns are ensuring rent payment and looking after the property
So a landlord would look at a tenant application with these in mind.
Where does the money for the rent come from? Is that secure?
Previous tenancy history, though previous landlord’s references are not necessarily helpful
Number of people occupying the house
Number and type of pets
Gut feel
None of these would necessarily exclude a potential tenant (some of my best tenants have pets) but in a market where there are considerably more tenants requiring a house than there are houses available, then landlords can be selective
However it doesn’t excuse the couple of seconds it takes to drop a reply and I think we should all do that.

3 Likes

We sent an automatic set of screening questions (e.g. please confirm who would be living at the property, if you have pets please provide details etc). If they skip any questions I won’t bother asking again. I only reply if my screening is satisfied and answered (if they don’t sound ideal, I’ll get back to them and be honest because they deserve to be answered).

If I follow up those who don’t answer all questions (i.e. waste time asking again) you can guarantee it’ll be ignored or turn out they have 3 dogs, 6 cats and a chinchilla or something else to hide. So I just don’t bother asking twice because I feel they can’t be very interested if they’re not willing to answer all questions.

But if landlords point blank ignore an enquiry I do believe that’s bad manners unless they’re getting hundreds of enquiries as we simply don’t always have the time.

2 Likes

Hi Victor, as a landlord, I find it terribly frustrating when I respond to an applicant and get nothing back and when I make appointments for viewings and they don’t turn up. I had 1 person arrive for an appointment out of 12 booked. So it goes both ways I’m afraid. Sorry.

2 Likes

Yeah I know it does. buy I can honestly say I always go for a viewing even if I know there’s probably no chance of getting it .at least if I’ve made the effort to turn up and see it then.i just wish some landlords at least don’t keep me hanging on just say yes or no …waited about a month to find out if we were accepted for a house ,even called the landlord who said the letting agency were at fault and they blamed the landlord.

1 Like