Landlord responsibility?

Tenant reported ceiling fan and light in conservatory not working. Do I need to replace like for like or will just a light fitting do? Conservatory has windows and doors for ventilation.

The tenant could make a fuss about it as they are renting the property as per the original spec. I would have a conversation with them and say that you think the ceiling fan is unnecessary and are proposing to replace with just a light fitting and see what they say.

2 Likes

I am interested in a house to rent with 3 bed rooms and back gurden and parcking space can you please tell me how i can get one

If you have signed a standard AST with them, then it’s your contractual duty to replace the fan. Maybe you can talk with them and they don’t find it important, just like David said. I just don’t think it’s fair to suggest they are “making a fuzz” if they insist on something that’s legally their right.

1 Like

You should have replaced it with a standard LED light and got rid of the fan, prior to the Tenancy in order to make it simple enough.

2 Likes

There is lots on the market, try an estate agent

I agree it’s not fair to call this one making a fuss. A ceiling fan has a pretty substantial impact on comfort. It isn’t just a matter of ventilation - a fan creates a breeze on hot days. A ceiling fan would factor pretty strongly into a rental decision for me, personally, and I wouldn’t be happy with the landlord not being bothered to cover the cost of a new one while I’ve been timely with rent.

That said the tenant can still agree not to have one, as you said. I just don’t think it’s fair to say they’re “making a fuss” for expecting a landlord to keep the property to the level it was advertised.

1 Like