Landlord trouble

I’ve asked about this before, but things have moved on… We’ve signed a tenancy agreement, paid a deposit and a months rent for the lease which begins in march. Our landlord has been unable to evict her previous tenant, she wants us to sign a surrender of lease, we’ve been unable to find alternative accommodation for our family and will be on the street shortly. Can we book in to a hotel and send her the bill for the excess cost?

Hi Paul, sorry to hear about this situation.

I am not legally trained and you may need to speak to someone who is. As far as I know, if someone (eg the landlord) has broken an agreement (ie the tenancy agreement) then you can pursue them for reasonable costs incurred (eg your housing costs while you find a new tenancy). But you would need to speak to a lawyer, Shelter or Citizens Advice.


1 Like