Landlords accepting the Local Authority Rent Bond Scheme

Hi All;
New on here.
I am employed with Oldham Council assisting tenants with re-housing.
We run a rent bond scheme which is a written agreement to cover the deposit. We would also assist with the rent in advance until they receive there first payment from Universal Credit. A reference from the current landlord could also be provided.
If any landlords have any rooms in shared accommodation/HMO’s in Oldham or surrounding areas then please contact me to discuss. We have tenants ready to move in straight away.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for reading and hope to speak to you soon.
Asaf

by coincidence I have just been asked by a mum would i accept her daughter. The Social will post a bond , be gaurantor and pay a certain amount of rent. Similar? I said defo no. I do not trust the social / L A. Once the tenant is in they lose interest, on to the next case. There will be no support for the landlord. Promises from councils are useless If the tenant lies about their circumstances the council want money back off the landlord Stay away from these arrangements ,in my view

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that you have had issues with tenants, unfortunately that could happen to any tenant/landlord however there are measures in place if they are on benefits and stop paying rent.

I have had no issues as I would not do it , but have heard off other landlords about their problems

Hi. Do you mind telling us what measures are in place if T on benefits stops paying rent?

1 Like

My local Council Dacorum Borough Council ran this very scheme back in 2010. I was a naive first time Landlord, they talk a good talk but that’s all they do. Tenant was rehoused by them, she left with no notice, no damages were ever reimbursed. I wouldn’t ever deal with a council in any way shape or form again you cannot trust them or HA’s
I am currently in dispute with my ex tenant,
offered a tenancy by Hightown HA despite being notified he was in rent arrears, he ultimately vacated without notice and is disputing rent arrears, damages, and deposit deductions. Surprise Surprise HA are not interested :joy:

2 Likes

Does the Landlord get to speak with any prospective tenant and ask questions ?

Lynn 1… housing associations are owed millions by their tenants

1 Like

Colin3 has got his extra long bargepole at the ready!

1 Like

be interesting to see if ASAF gives any more light or any landlord has a good word about this scheme . Nilesh you have a good memory about the bargepole, I had forgotten !

I thought it was some English joke, asked my English husband, and he said he never heard about it. I wonder if you were kind enough to explain it, Nilesh?

When there is something you would not do or get near to, you say " i would not touch it with a barge pole" A barge pole is a very long shaft or pole that the person on a barge or narrow boat would use to fend off obstacles as they move along the water. To keep clear of it

1 Like

asaf. bas Where are you , you cannot have given up yet?

1 Like

i guess this one is now dead in the water.

@Tim_Ira Application could be made for the rent to be paid direct to the landlord at the start of the tenancy.

@Colin3 Unfortunately not on here all day everyday so unable to respond daily however disappointed with your comments considering that you have never experienced it yourself and just going off “hear say”. Appreciate your comments anyway.

So who shall i believe, my fellow Landlords or the Local council ??

2 Likes

I actually don’t know if this advertising is allowed here. OR is for private LL.

can the tenant ever stop this payment and ask for the housing allowance to be paid to them? Is it cast iron from the Local Authority that the rent will ALWAYS be paid direct to the landlord? Does the landlord get to interview the tenant with the L/A ?

1 Like

We asked the same question and the reply was - it’s the same as with other TT, they can stop paying rent.