Need Advice on Proceeding with Tenant Referencing Without Employer Response

Hi everyone,

I’m seeking guidance on a tenant referencing issue I’m currently facing with OpenRent. My tenant has provided me with six months of payslips and bank statements, and everything checks out fine. However, OpenRent has failed the employer reference due to no reply from the employer, as they do not click on external links or fill out forms.

Additionally, my tenant sent me a PDF letter from HR confirming his position, salary, and contract details. It’s been over a week, and I find OpenRent’s response unhelpful and obstructive. Considering this, do you think the information provided is sufficient for me to make a leasing decision? I am contemplating doing my own referencing now as it feels like a waste of time and money paying OpenRent for this service.

Would appreciate any insights or similar experiences from the community.

Thanks in advance!

I contact employers myself, sometimes by phone, sometimes via email. Dont take any chances.

I use a third party just for the credit check.

Any employer that doesn’t fill out forms?

I do it by email because I want to see a work email (phone is easy to fake).

I do this BEFORE I do referencing using details applicant has given me. For me, referencing simply confirms everything I already know from my own research prior to starting it.

i would source the number myself. Even company email addresses which very similar to the real thing are easy to setup.

why do you do it by email then?

I work in IT. I know how to identify.

well that makes two of us so I guess everyone’s sorted then. :laughing:

The open rent referencing is convenient and quick - but at the end of the day the decision ALWAYS yours. If a tenant fails referencing I usually suggest they provide a guarantor.

But in the end I can let to whoever I want to.

Hi any comments on my situation sounds similar to above. I am not from IT background. My tenant moved to uk in October 2023 from ukraine. Open rent can’t get employer reference and tenant can’t give any guarantor. I got her emplyee contract letter and first month payslip. She is moving in with her family but husband surname is different to her.
As per payslip and husband benefits I guess she can afford the rent.
Is it still safe to goahead with this tenancy??

Where have they been living?
Do they have a landlord reference?

Don’t take international tenants without a guarantor or rent upfront

She said she is living with friend at the moment. She is ready to pay 2 month rent upfront.

It’s a very high risk tenancy
Personally I would not

Thank you, has anyone had any experience with these kind of tenants

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.