Not here to disrespect anyone, or for any kind of benefit discussion! Here to introduce myself!

Hi,

I am looking for a two bedroom property in Brighton or anywhere by the sea. I am happy to go in and redecorate, and travel to view, as I am looking for a long term tenancy for my adult son and myself. I am able to provide deposits and references. I am currently receiving Universal Credit,

Unfortunately any tenant, regardless of whether or not they receive DSS, has the potential to be disruptive and cost you a lot of time, effort, energy and money. There really are no guarantees as it ultimately comes down to an individuals character, which is why I communicate with a honesty when contacting a landlord.

The fact that people receive DSS does not mean that they all share the same character traits. The same applies for people not receiving DSS. Not all of those people are trustworthy, organised, reliable or kind, regardless of how they earn their money. Every case is individual.

So, it would be great if any landlords in Brighton or near the sea if you are looking for a tenant that will respect you and your property, please drop me a message.

I am trying to communicate this way as to date, I have had no luck on replies, so my aim is to try another angle :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well done for not berating landlords straight off and then asking for help from them . That will go a long way on this forum

1 Like

Sorry? I am not berating landlords

many before you on benefits have done so and then asked for help

1 Like

I’m not, I am sick to death of people on benefits always whimpering poor me poor me…I am also sick to death of being tarred with the same brush due to those that are able to find a property, disrespect the property along with the landlord, are not grateful for the opportunity they have been given, ruining it for other individuals that are on benefits that live by morals and principles the opportunity to build a trustworthy, reliable relationship with a landlord!

2 Likes

I am nowhere near Brighton but I wish you luck in your search.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that. I should have possibly said anywhere near the sea :slight_smile:

Manchester is not near the sea, unfortunately

1 Like

It’s not, I wish you all the best in finding a suitable tenant. Thank you for your kind words.

1 Like

If you are on UC then Brighton is the worst seaside town as the rents are high. You should go look somewhere unfashionable. The UC will be closer to market rent.

Thank you for your input. I am open to any seaside village.

Donna I fully get what you are saying as someone on benefits myself I was if im honest blaming that for the reason LL wouldnt consider me for properties however after having read various threads on here I now realise that they DONT tarnish ALL benefit claimants with the same brush however there are as far as i can ascertain issues with receiving the payment from HB and it can take several weeks if not longer for payments to go through also i beli e if and when a benefits TT leaves the payments stop despite that the rent may have been paid in arrears and the LL struggles to get what they are due I think this is one of not THE major factor in LL not renti g to benefit claimants I am prepared to stand corrected if any experienced LL wants to comment that is just what I have picked up from the threada and comments on here
That being said I wish you luck in finding a suitable property and many years of happiness when you move in

1 Like

Hi Gary,
I appreciate what you are saying. Though I think and feel preparation does help, I have saved deposits, and in the event of a problem with Universal Credit I have saved 3 months rent, though I have been advised I will go straight from ESA onto Universal Credit. I never rely on others to control the outcome of situations I am involved with. What is the saying ‘Prior Planning Prevents P**** Poor Performance’ And when you also have someone else in your life you are responsible for, in my case my son, you should always be one step ahead of everyone

Oh, word of advice, don’t always believe what you read. Unless you hear it from the horses mouth, it’s someone else’s input, and half the time they are bored trollers who get a kick out of stirring upset. Work with your own personal experiences and your gut :slight_smile:

1 Like

As a landlord,living in the property I rent bedsits in, When I have rented to those on benefits the principal problem has been the incompetence of the benefits system,housing benefit not the main problem. Renting property is a minimising risk
business it is as simple as that. Employed people are for the most part less of a risk in my fifty years of experience,difficulty to find an acceptable place to live is also a major spur to finding work

I in skme respects understand what you mean however surely in this day and age even employed people as super and fantastic as they are can be laid off or made redundant or the business close (Wilkos Debenhams M&S) then your faced with a previously employed person who then has to wait however many weeks for a benefit claim to come through

1 Like

Even an individual in employment could lose their job and have to turn to benefits for a regular income.

As for the comment ‘Major spur to finding work’ some unfortunately can’t work due to ill health, long term sickness. Guess that will spur them on to get a larger tent!

Risk assessment, nothing more. Banks don’t like to lend to some group down to likelihood of non payment. There’s always exceptions of course.

No LL can assess character accurately in advance so they rely on stats, which don’t lie. Look up how much is owed by benefits claimants in rent. HB is paid to tenant and not LL (it can be reversed if they actually agree to pay direct)

Landlords will often consider type of job, iE how stable, length of time in employment. Job hoppers are less desirable. Public sector workers are practically impossible to sack.

I mentioned that earlier that even a suitable tenant in employment, could lose their job, and have to turn to benefits for support.

I respect risk assessment, and appreciate stats do not lie. My concern is that individuals on benefits are tarred with the same brush due to arrogant, selfish individuals that have abused the benefit system. You don’t even get the opportunity to introduce yourself in person, disclose why you are on benefits. Disclose your previous work history. You get a blunt no! That’s a problem I am coming up against.

I have just said yes to someone on benefit and pension .They then changed their mind,. I then spoke to a person who said they were in work . Did not know their home address or whether they had a CCJ or not, ! ! But said in lockdown they got into financial difficulty.Now to try someone else

We could go over this time and time again. It’s all about characters, respect. The unfortunate thing is when looking for a property and you are on benefits you are always going to step into the shoes of someone who previously has abused the benefit system, lied and cheated in some way. It’s never going to change, human nature. Me personally, will just keep at it, and eventually will find a landlord who I can restore their faith in individuals on benefits! Plus find a long term home.