PAT testing DIY

We got a reminder that we are due to our annual PAT test. I am grateful for this reminder but also see this as a way of Open rent selling PAT test. In our flat there are only 2 apliances - fridge and small portable cooker and it seems a lot to give £69-105 (locally) for this test every year. Looking at the legal side: You don’t need any specific qualifications for the PAT test . Yet, the regulations demand that a competent person does the testing. A skilled person is – “Someone with enough technical knowledge to avoid potential risks and injuries.” I am thinking of doing a short only course (so get certificate) - course is £30 and buying a PAT tester around £150 … so I can do it myself … Do any of you do “DIY” PAT test.

Pat test is not mandatory, though is obviously recommended still.

Although I don’t currently have PAT testing done, I have often thought about doing the training and doing it myself if it ever became mandatory. I work part-time in a school as a caretaker and they have a company come in every year to PAT test all the appliances, laptops, extension leads etc. it takes one guy a couple of days to go around the school. It seems simple enough…

There is no such thing as an ANNUAL PAT test. That’s nonsense. 3 - 5 years would be more sensible

PAT tests are carried out on any appliance that has a removable plug so anything from a kettle to a fridge freezer. Currently it is not a legal requirement although it is recommended. It is most common in commercial type lets such as student type accommodation, fully furnished lets and HMOs. It can also be a requirement for properties within a selective licensing scheme.

Hi guys, thank you for your contribution. But you are telling me what i already know…sorry if i was not so clear so have teo questions.

1. Why Open Rent is “pushing” Pat every year by reminding us that it has expired and due etc…
  2. There is nothing in the flat that we provide appart from fridge and small cooker… it looks it is very expensive to do PAT (the lower price is around £70 (for less than 35 items) and PAT is not mandatory, so is ig really up to me to decide when to do it or not to do it???
    Thank you
  1. because it’s an income stream for them.
  2. entirely upto you. (If not part of selective licensing scheme). If you become qualified then you can do it yourself, should you wish to.

In my own home I have never had a pat test, nor boiler serviced. Boiler still going strong after 10 plus years. Same type bought at same time in a rental I had serviced regularly and plenty of issues!

In 10 years of witnessing pat test results I have never been advised of a fail.