Short tem tenancy -3 months

Hi Guys, My flat is on sale. I am moving out of the country next month. Can I put my flat on rent for short period with 3 months rolling contract?

Regards,
Sumit

I’d you’re leaving the country, do your tenant a favour and find a letting agency so that they have a person they can talk to. Your agent will be able to advise you on the minimum terms of a tenancy.

I would not do this. Moving a tenant in is great… what happens if they don’t move out as planned… you loose your sale, and instead gain a big headache, when you are not in the country to deal with it. What happens if they move in & don’t make viewings easy for you, or put viewers off buying the property (so that they can stay longer).

We put a property on the market in May 2023, only after the last tenant had moved out. The first sale fell through, and 2nd sale delayed due to the chain… but eventually we expect to complete this coming Monday. That’s 11 months!, so you need to be prepared that property sales are not straight forward and can drag on, so check your cashflow.

1 Like

I would also suggest you don’t do this as you can’t enforce the tenant moving out after 3 months and that would scupper any sale.