Thumb turn locks on doors

Hello, I am looking for details of any ‘law’ that says the exit door must have thumb turn locks. (England legislation)
Usual story that I’m being told it law on one hand but can only find that it is recommended. Interested in any HMO language around this point as well.

you get an hmo inspector out ,they will say thumb turn

Hi Colin, do you have thumb turn in your non HMO properties?

1 Like

I do on all exit doors .So easy to change the cylinder when a tenant leaves

Absolutely not compulsory. Imagine a parent with Young Child… a thumb turn on an exit is not secure enough for their inquisitive hands!

you can easily fit a push bolt higher up . The whole point is not to have a deadlock with a key . Yales are ok to use as a key is not needed to exit

You may be interested to Google LACORS Fire Safety Guide…

It reads "16.1 Ideally, final exit doors from all premises should be
fitted with locks/catches which are openable by
the occupiers from the inside without the use of a
removable key. This should always be the case in
HMOs, including shared houses. Where security locks
are fitted they should be of the type with a suitable
internal thumb-turn to facilitate this. "

1 Like

Colin if you have children or disabled a high up bolt is a death sentence in a fire

so you adapt the door security.to whever lives there… . Simple to do … You cannot please every view Take all the door locks off and have open house then No matter what you say here different people will have their own view . Tenant can fit a bolt or not . Disabled can ask for bolt to be removed . Not rocket science

You are not normally so crotchety colin it was just a safety issue often missed

a Parent with a young child would not miss this . Some parents take the bolt off the bathroom door so no chance the child will get "locked " in Other parents have put a bolt high up so the child cannot get out. If they can handle that so be it. . Disabled folks ,if in a wheelchair will find many places just not suitable .All properties cannot be made wheelchair friendly . New properties should be tho.

1 Like