Unsecured deposit

Hello,

I have a deposit secured with Mydeposits, however I also provided an extra deposit with my landlord, for which I did not receive a certificate for. I am due to give notice shortly and whilst I am confident in receiving back the deposit from Mydeposits, I would like to know if there is a timescale I can expect (with what I assume is unsecured) for the additional deposit I gave? I understand the Landlord has to do a check/inventory/inspection of property and I am planning professional cleaners and to fulfil my obligations of the tenancy agreement.

Thank you

Legally the landlord cannot take two deposits. Why did he?

… Unless you meant a holding deposit?

1 Like

Hi, at the time we didn’t pass the credit check so they asked for additional (what i thought was a deposit, but may have been extra rent upfront).

Was it a one off payment? Did the landlord say which month it covered? Did you have still have to pay monthly for every month so far? If so, then its likely that the landlord as taken an illegal deposit, regardless of how he described it.

1 Like

Thanks for this. We thought because we were deemed as a financial risk we had to pay extra. We do have all our evidence and we never missed a rental payment so when we are due to leave will ensure we get it returned.

Your help is much appreciated.

Sounds a bit worrying. Can you prove this payment? It sounds strictly illegal if it is not mentioned in any paperwork as either extra deposit or advance rent.

If you have an audit trail the landlord has no legal rights to retain it. Unless it was cash and no paperwork…

Yes, i have an audit trail of date it was given. It was done via bank transfer. I have absolute proof that it was paid.

We have given notice and i provided a clear outline of monies paid.

Thanks

Amanda