Water leak from tenants washing machine hose connection

Hello,
Looking for some advice please!
We bought a ground floor flat that had a washing machine installed (freestanding). We let the flat and offered to tenant to buy the w/machine to take ownership of it - or we’d remove it as didn’t want the hassle of repairs. Tenant purchased it installed . It’s worked fine for 2 years but now the tenant has reported a leak from the hose to the washing machine.
As we didn’t remove all hosing and sold the washing machine ‘as seen’ is it our responsibility to sort the leaking hose out?
Thanks for your help!

Semantics
I think the tenant needs to take ownership
It’s presumed to be part of the machine if they bought it new so they can own it

Are they really this petty

Talking of petty, not providing a washing machine to a flat because you don’t want the hassle of repairs?

Some people don’t
It would have to be PAT tested yearly etc

I have just got a machine back after two years
It was black with mould
It’s taken four cycles just to loosen the lime encrusted machine

I can see their point

I have students :frowning:

Yes it’s true I also have students. A scrubbing board and mangle might work better for them.

3 Likes

It beggars belief how people live
The washing machine has its own ecosystem of bacteria and fungus and then it’s in their “ washed” clothes
Then their room smells of fungus and they call saying we’ve got mould :joy::joy:

1 Like

Yes, the hose is still yours and you have to repair it, in the same way that the waste outlet and trap that its connected to are your liability.

The water fill hose normally is supplied with the new machine. Its part of the machine, as is the drain hose.

The trap is totally seperate, and would be Landlords responsibility as is the water tap that the fill hose is connected too.

It could probably be argued either way in truth, that is if it were worth arguing about.

Quite. Its just a £10 fix. I’d just get it done, to save damage to my kitchen.

1 Like