Appliances- who is liable : tenant or landlord

Hello I am a landlord. I provided my house to let under the openrent AST tenancy.
I did the inventory which includes all integrated appliances.

the tenant is saying the integrated freezer has stopped working.

Ive checked the tenancy wording again and I just wanted to check - is it the landlord that needs to repair this freezer, or is the tenant liable during the tenancy (under their tenants contents insurance etc?).

It says in the ast something about the landlord being liable for repair during the notice period of tenant exit, but tenant to repair during the active tenancy ?

Advice please as I don’t know if I have to replace or repair the freezer, or inform the tenant she needs to do this? Thanks

I am no expert but I thought that if the rent of a property includes appliances then the landlord is liable to maintain them Hence I do not provide any.

1 Like

Unless explicitly agreed to the contrary, I believe that the landlord is responsible for appliance repairs, if said appliance belongs to them and is supplied under a “furnished” or “part furnished” tenancy. This, of course, is assuming that the damage was not malicious. Like Colin3, it is for that reason that I do not supply white goods etc.

1 Like

also jemma you have to have your supplied electrical appliances checked for safety PAT testing for portable appliances

1 Like

Although our flat is advertised as unfurnished, I have provided a washer-dryer (to encourage the tenant not to have wet washing hanging all over the flat and thence encouraging black mould) and a fridge freezer.

As it was my choice to install these items, I have always assumed them to be my responsibility if they broke down.

1 Like

Thank you all. I assumed it’s my responsibility as landlord to repair/replace any appliance - it’s just the wording within the openrent tenancy that is confusing.
I will just replace the freezer to keep the tenant happy :smiley:

(Wording)
Statutory Repairing Obligations
10.3. To comply with the obligations to repair the Premises as set out in sections 11 to 16 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 (as amended by the Housing Act 1988). These sections impose on the Landlord obligations to repair and keep in good order:
the structure of the Premises and exterior (including drains, gutters and pipes); certain installations for the supply of water, electricity and gas;
sanitary appliances including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences; space heating and water heating;
but not other fixtures, fittings, and appliances for making use of the supply of water and electricity. This obligation arises only after notice has been given to the Landlord by the Tenant as set out in clause 8.31.
10.4. To repay to the Tenant any reasonable costs incurred by the Tenant to remedy the failure of the Landlord to comply with his statutory obligations as stated in clause 10.3 above.

1 Like

Thanks to @Clive @Colin3 and @Bob_Belinda for their helpful answers.

@Jemma_Louise thanks for raising this.

When it comes to the responsibility for maintaining appliances provided by the landlord, that should be term 10.7 in your AST. For those reading this thread, that clause says of the landlord’s responsibilities:

10.7. To keep in repair and proper working order all mechanical and electrical items belonging to the Landlord and forming part of the fixtures and fittings, unless the lack of repair is due to the negligence or misuse of the Tenant, his family, or visitors.

The terms you quoted above, 10.3 and 10.4, are in there because they describe the obligations set out in the Housing Act (1988).

I hope that makes sense!

Just so you know, we have updated our AST since your tenancy began due to the passing of new laws and regulations. You can always see the most up to date version of our AST here.

Just to be clear, ASTs are not updated retrospectively to existing tenancies, but are only used in the creation of new tenancies.

Sam

1 Like

Bob Belinda I get why you have provided a washer dryer. You will need to make sure the filter is regulary cleaned for the dryer as the lack of maintenance has caused fires An automatic humidity fan in a kitchen and bathroom is a good idea

Can I hijack this thread rather than start a new similar one? Just preparing new tenancy for unfurnished property with integrated fridge, freezer, dishwasher, oven and hob. The ast (not yet signed) doesn’t have clause 10.7. or 10.3 or 10.4 referred to in above thread; but does have

Statutory Repairing Obligations
11.3. To comply with the obligations to repair the Premises as set out in sections 11 to 16 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 (as amended by the Housing Act 1988). These sections impose on the Landlord obligations to repair and keep in good order the structure of the Premises and exterior (including drains, gutters and pipes); certain installations for the supply of water, electricity and gas;sanitary appliances including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences;
space heating and water heating;but not other fixtures, fittings, and appliances for making use of the supply of water and electricity. This*obligation arises only after notice has been given to the Landlord by the Tenant as set out in clause 9.31.
11.4. To repay to the Tenant any reasonable costs incurred by the Tenant to remedy the failure of the Landlord
to comply with his statutory obligations as stated in clause 11.3 above.

So will I have to maintain those appliances or can I put in the ast a clause to say tenant is responsible after say, 6 months? I assume I will have to pat test them though at start of tenancy?
Thanks

Thankyou, that is something I have not thought of. I will ask the tenant to do it and check next time we do an inspection.

Gill 2 all I can say is if they are integrated and come with the property the tenant will likely expect you to maintain them. After all they were there when they moved in.

The landlord is responsible

Hello, sorry to also tag onto this… I currently have a tenant who obviously rented my flat after viewing, and since he has moved in he is asking for every little thing to be repaired. The latest thing is the shower hose, he has reported it was leaking, and when I asked further questions he also added he would like a longer hose replacement! As a landlord I am happy to fix repairs, but it just seems to have got to the point where he wants everything brand new. I asked for photos and the damage looks pretty horrific considering he only moved in in July and no damage was noted in the inventory.
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you

did you take any photos before he moved in?

Yes, and there is no sign of the damage in the photos

You may need to call his bluff ,taking the photo with you. Sounds as if its been damaged in order to get a longer one .

That’s what I’m thinking, especially when I offered for my handywoman to come check it first and he quickly replied with ‘no, buy the hose first’

How can I prove that he has damaged it? The hose is old…
And what happens then? He has to buy a new hose and pay for its fitting?

you could say to him that it was ok when he move in if he wants a longer one he has to pay for it. It is an easy replacement, .there is also a rubber at either end of the hose, It will leak if these are not in place Do you not live near this place?

Thank you Colin3! I really appreciate you replying! I am abroad at the moment otherwise I would go there myself and investigate