BATH OR WALK IN SHOWER? What do tenants prefer?

Hello
Looking for some opinions/advice/feedback
I have a 2 bed mid terrace that I am looking at refreshing at the end of the current tenancy. I like to keep them looking really nice and attract good tenants.

The house only has 1 bathroom with a mixer tap shower over a bath. I was wondering if people have any experience of tenants preferring the option of having a bath or if I should replace it with a nice walk in shower with a smart mixer blingy shower? The house is too small for a family and I tend to rent to singles/couples. Does anyone have experience of getting rid of the bath in favour of the walk in shower set up or do tenants prefer the option to have a bath?

TIA

1 Like

Shower above the bath every time with a hinged side screen

6 Likes

@Colin3 Hi Colin - that is what is there currently - can I ask if you are a LL is that your opinion or what tenants have said to you? Thanks

1 Like

Hullo depends on the size of the bathroom Less leaks with a shwer over a bath . No problem letting them

3 Likes

@Colin3 - thanks v much

My tenants over the years have expressed preference for both so no clear winner. I prefer a walk-in shower.

1 Like

My rental has a large bathroom so has both and a separate walk in shower. My own home has a
P shape shower bath with acrylic screen with shower running off the boiler works great, looks fab. Himself showers, I love a bath My
Tenants have a better bathroom than I have

1 Like

me too - sometimes the silicon around the edge of the bath can be susceptible to leaking so I wondered if i really swish big walk in shower the size of the bath might be a vote winner for tenants…

1 Like

I always put in a metal bath , never fibreglass. Never had a leak. I fit extra supports under the rim of the bath so no flexing, therefore no leaks

That is beautiful @Lynn1 - limited space in small 2 bed property prohibits that amount of flexibility - it is either shower or bath or shower over bath choice for the particular house I will be refurbing!

I would definitely go with a shower bath best of both worlds

1 Like

Go with bath. If the tenant is rough n tough they will break the shower and the leakage and water will go down in another property if it’s flat.

2 Likes

I have the same dilemma. 2 bed house with one bathroom needing renovation, and can have either bath or large-ish shower instead. I spoke to local estate agents about what renters would prefer and she said either is fine, although it does depend on your target market ie professionals vs families etc. In terms of cost / time to install, I went through both options with the bathroom designer and builder and they were similar so it is just down to preference. I am inclined to go for a walk-in shower as the bathroom looks so much bigger and more spacious, so will be much more impactful in the marketing photos. Some of the other comments makes a good point ie using metal baths which will also be less risk of leaks compared to a shower.

1 Like

where we live, our water is being put onto meters and we will have to pay by the amount we use, so no more baths for us. you might want to find out when your property will go onto a meter. not sure if it will also impact EPC ratings as obviously if you don’t have a shower and only a bath then that’s bad for consumption of energy and water

ok some good advice there. couple of thoughgts , i always put in altro flooring, its non slip and acts as a bund if leaks occur. second a bath should always be chopped in to the plaster rather than just abutted to the wall. third buy croydex or proper brand shower enclosure so you get get spare runners 5 years from now. a simple bar mixer is an easy change out (assuming you have combi boiler). get a top removable waste to clear hair easily. stay away from low profile for tenants, it can soon overflow. a shower is simpler so go a minimum of 800mm square. if you want to make it wow put in a few bright led’s and make sure you put in a good centrifugal fan on a hydrostat to avoid damp. consider a nice grab rail

1 Like

Is your likely market very European/USA or more UK. High end/London USA tend to want Big shower. Otherwise shower over bath because it leaks less.

I had leak twice but when I visit it it was a case of mould as they are not bothered to air the room afterbath/shower then mould grew and it went underneath and broke the seal!!! Also putting items next to silicone is calling for mould as it prevents air circulation.

I had the same issue when purchasing a new property recently. Bathroom was small, only had toilet, sink and small walk in shower. I have now changed to bath with shower attached. I think it’s good to give both options.

2 Likes

I had leak twice on two different properties around bath seal. And main reason was they let mould grew and this led to leak by breaking the seal. Storing items next to silicone can easily lead to mould when combined with failure to ventilate.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.