Broken hob. They say they can’t pay until the end of their new AST

i thought new appliances do not need a test ? is that wrong?

Legally out of box PAT testing is not required for a new appliance.
Gas installation of a new appliance does require a new certificate.
If the electrician is putting it in I would ask for a certificate of installation so if there is any issue you can prove it was installed by a 'competent ’ installer.
I’m just belt and braces because I seem to attract ambulance chasers.

2 Likes

Listening to the LL course this year I have realised that if you are in a pickle with your tenant your solicitor needs as much as possible to help your case. They want certificates for everything.
I thought we only need to keep gas certs for 2 years but listening to the lecture this year given by the barrister who gave a gas safety lecture she advised you need to keep all certificates for the duration of the tenancy. There was a landmark case this year ( sorry cannot remember the name off the top of my head) in which she reviewed gas safety regulations.
I have always thrown them out after 2 years:-(

I do always keep them. So I guess that’s a no me installing it!! It’s the exact same hob. It’s not rocket science. I do all my own minor electrics in my home, all the non-gas plumbing. So it defo needs to be installed by electrician?

Home is different to rental.
Theoretically you can do it. You are literally plugging an appliance in and out.
You can install your own washing machine.
I just thought in light of circumstances you may want to cover yourself.

1 Like

These are my lovely tenants!! Not the rogue ones.

So there still is the question about swapping out “like for like” appliances. Is this ok to do without certification? How would I get a definitive answer? I will ask my electrician!

electric appliance yes
gas appliance needs certification
The electrician will say yes as he is making money

I have spoke to my electrician this morning
Regulations have changed and it comes down to competent person
Home is different to rental
He said if something goes wrong you are liable so advised an electrician fit it so you are covered in case of eventuality

1 Like

Thanks for this. It’s so frustrating as I AM COMPETENT! I think I will install because of time constraints & they pay the electrician to certify. It has to be done by Wednesday start of new AST. I’ve put into writing that they agree not to use it until it’s certified.

I was told by council officer I was competant to check the smokes and emergency lights in the common hallway as I a have been a builder for 50 years and know what I am doing

2 Likes

Our council and universities mandate that they are certified by NICEIC registered electrician every year ( or another body)

I looked up all the Health & Safety stuff and they do require you to go on a certification for being a “competent person” because I wanted to do it.

1 Like

Are you going to do it
What is the link please so I may have a look
That would be a lot cheaper in the long run

It was ages ago but will find the info. Also, we are not an HMO so things are a bit different but I remember this applying to any institution. This is for Fire safety not electrical. I’m not sure it applies to HMO.

My advice is just continue with the contract as a rolling one, but make sure you have the hob replaced immediately otherwise you are liable. You are responsible for the gas safety. Once you have done it and got a bill then decide whether you are going to just put it down as wear and tear and consider it expenses for tax, or keep the evidence for taking off the deposit at the end of the tenancy, or send the tenant the bill.
Sometimes its just easier to let things go, for the sake of goodwill.

1 Like

Thanks. The hob is electric and a very simple safe installation & it was brand new at start of tenancy. I’m not willing to just write it off. The flat is at least £100 under the market rate. We’ve worked out what we are doing. They have agreed to pay for hob & instal but I’m trying to save them some money & time as new AST tenancy STARTS Wednesday.

Insurance? this is what it’s for.

It’s not worth an insurance claim. It’s only a ceramic hob. I used to get insurance (mainly for rent) but then when I started getting worries about a couple tenants paying their last rent I contacted the insurance company (through Rentguard) & it was a joke. The hoops you have to jump through & you have to start eviction proceedings etc, I decided it wasn’t worth getting insurance anymore. Of course I have buildings insurance which is a requirement. I’ve never ever had to make a claim. The tenants should be covered. If they break it, they pay. It’s up to them if it’s insured. But that brings another question :thinking:. Are hobs, (being “fixed”under buildings insurance? Or contents? I’m assuming contents. But insurance companies have always described contents as things that would fall if the turned the building upside down. Again, this was not worth claiming for. You can’t go claiming everything or the insurance hikes would be abysmal.

I’m going to answer my own question:

The ombudsman’s general approach is to regard all items that are fixed as “buildings” while the rest are “contents”. So, for example, it would normally consider fitted wardrobes, fitted kitchens and built-in appliances to be covered under a buildings policy, whereas the contents policy would cover items of furniture and appliances that are free-standing or, if screwed to a wall, easily removable.

But it’s not worth claiming!

This now brings another question: so say there’s one flat that’s rented out in a building of 4 & they keep making claims for things like hobs, anything fitted in a kitchen etc, that seems unfair to other flats as it will raise the insurance premium.