Eviction notice now 6 months

An extract from Landlord Law today (25/8/20). https://landlordlaw.co.uk
“The 4 week stay has now come into force under new regulations but it seems that the planned extention of possession notice periods from three to six months is not yet in force. So unless some form of retrospective rule is passed, existing notices and notices served before any new regulations are made, will be valid. So if you were thinking of serving a possession notice you may want to do this now as a precautionary measure.”

1 Like

Hi Simon.
Sorry, do you mean it makes it harder for tenants to find a new place?
Do you or anyone else know if a landlord is selling does a tenant have to leave or can they still stay put?
Thank you

Hi Mr T

The tenant has no obligation to leave on sale unless they have have signed saying they will leave as part of the sale legal pack. The new buyer effectively takes over the tenancy agreement if the tenant doesn’t leave.

1 Like

My landlady is selling and i been toĺd to move out in 2 months. I got letter in july

Thank you that’s really informative.

What will you do? Two months isn’t right.

I found a better place

Glad you got sorted for the better. Best wishes

Yes it remains at 3 months . I’m tortured also and stressed . Waiting to get someone out

1 Like

It’s a killer. Literally

@Keyur
Hi Keyur.
Just wondering if you had any luck with the direct payment of Housing Costs to yourself?

Hello Mr T
No. Govt declined
See below responce

We are unable to set up direct rent payments to you.

Direct rent payments could not be set up for one or more of the following reasons:
• your tenants do not get Universal Credit
• your tenants do not claim housing support for the address you supplied
• your tenants must be in at least one month’s worth of arrears, accrued over two or more months
• One of the tier 1 or 2 conditions haven’t been met

We cannot give you specific details because of data sharing regulations.

You should speak to your tenants to make sure the correct information has been supplied to Universal Credit.

Don’t know what can do next?
No help from council or govt.
Do you के ow what should I have do next??
Thx
K

funny how Data sharing regulations apply from councils to a landlord, but they expect you to inform on the tenant if the tenant is fiddling

2 Likes

Hi Keyur,

I don’t know for sure but the fact that the email mentioned that they were either not receiving UC and/or housing costs must mean they aren’t getting it?

If it had just been they were not in rent arrears it would just have said one point surely.

There were two other reasons on the application, other than rent arrears, that enables a landlord to apply for direct payment.

That being, they were not managing their money or that they had addiction problems.

Have they been paying any rent?

Think you need to write them a letter or get a solicitor to do it.

Sounds like they are possibly taking advantage of this Covid business and your good nature.

You could ask to see their Universal credit claim.
If they want to pay less for goods or services you are within your rights to ask for proof of this.

Or get their Eviction Notices off to them. The sooner the better with the six month ban. You never know it may well focus them into sorting things out.

1 Like

I asked them but they said they are getting only £ 1400 and this amount is not enough for their survival.
I don’t know how much part of housing benifit in this UC.
Govt not clear about it so they have used and consider as a one benifit. Spoken to council about it but they said no help from council at all and not share any information of tenants benifit.

Will wait few more days and see any communication from tenants, if not then I will start taking action.

Last week tenants guarantor paid last month rent.

1 Like

Hi Keyur.

Just re-read the response. Govt said it was declined for one or more reasons.
One reason being the tenants were not in arrears. What about ticking one of the other boxes?

I don’t know their exact circumstances but I suppose if the guarantor carries on paying this is okay?

Very worrying for you.

if the guarrantor keeps paying then that is good. Some landlords do not get that.

2 Likes

Hi Mr T,
Thanks for your concern.
Will contact tenant again this week and let see as they have in arrears of one month.
Thx.
K