Help appreciated

Hi everyone, I have a flat for rent and have been trying to do so for the last 2 months. I have read some advice on the forums, such as vetting tenants, questions to ask and warning signs.

My question is am I doing something wrong? The prospective tenants either do not respond to the auto reply, which includes “ no bad credit or CCJ’s accepted” I have tried to follow the advice given on these forums and always respond within 1 hour, I have now reduced the rental price.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Duane

• Delete the auto reply and let the queries come through.
  • Call them and ask them when they want to view. You’ll have a few timewasters who do not reply or get back to you. This in itself is part of the vetting process.
  • You can ask questions when you meet and this will give you a chance to vet
  • If they want it, ask them if they have any CCJ’s as this will fail their reference check. If so, then they will need a guarantor. If they are serious they will find a guarantor i.e. friend, sibling, etc. This guarantor will also need to be referenced.

This is the method I typically follow and I have not had any problems. 40% of my portfolio have tenants with CCJ’s + guarantors. Never been a problem.

CCJ’s doesnt make people bad tenants. It can be as simple as not paying a parking ticket because it went to a difference address and thus they just forgot about it. They often find about it because of the reference check!

Good luck

1 Like

Hi and thanks for the advice, I did wonder about the auto reply.

Thanks again