Organising Viewings

When we advertised through Open Rent we seemed to be inundated with viewing requests, but had doubts about some of the people as they appeared to be using alias’ rather than their own name. The previous advice given to ask questions before booking a viewing really helped, we sent a list of questions and made it clear that we would be having credit checks / references done on prospective tenants, this had to be responded to before we booked a viewing, and many didn’t reply, so viewings were not arranged.

5 Likes

that s the way to do it

1 Like

We checked our prospective tenants proof of ID during the viewing, she was happy to supply it and was keen to get the application process underway, I work in a business where people attempt to use fake ID’s, so am always going to be extra wary. I wouldn’t ask for proof of income, it will be picked up during the credit / referencing checks. I would always pay to have the checks done, and if any doubt was expressed would follow the advice given in respect of accepting the tenant.

I also made clear that we would be having credit / referencing checks completed. I was never keen when people gave ‘odd names’ such as an initial, or an alias, or spoke in ‘text talk’, it seemed those that came through Gumtree were the worst for being low quality applicants.

2 Likes

I make my requirements (income level, no ccjs etc) clear up front and ask for proof of income before I do a viewing, I explain this is because if they can’t prove their income they won’t pass referencing. I ask for their circumstances e.g. when do they want to move (to minimise voids). I only have 3 viewings lined up at a time and then put people on a “waitlist” to view as normally I will get a tenant from the first 3 viewings. I organise them at the same time in 30 minute slots so I only have to go to the property once.

This pre-viewing questioning hasn’t stopped me getting tenants so I am not bothered if it puts some people off.

I normally have a Telephone conversation with prospective tenants and am able to ‘whittle’ quite a few out of the process at that stage.
The remainder I arrange a block viewing for. 1. It shows them there’s other interest and competition, and it reduces chances of you making a wasted journey to the property.
See (3rd party referral / service removed) for further Free Advice. ( Also, on Facebook )

1 Like

If you confirm the viewing through the open rent login app it will highlight those once you have confirmed a viewing and it also sends the tenant an automatic reminder prior to the appointment. I did 10 viewings over the weekend, having had 47 enquiries in 48 hours ( I then paused the add) viewings were booked with 15 mins apart. If they did not turn up on time they didn’t get to view. I explained the importance of punctuality, mask wearing etc etc during the replies back n forth and I also spoke to each one that I chose to view with . I also set up from the very start a tenant screening via open rent app when I listed the property ( simple tenant application to complete) so that I only viewed to those I knew would be viable and only those that completed it. Once viewings have taken place an auto message is sent back from open rent asking if any were suitable so it helps to highlight these. I handed out a comprehensive tenant questionnaire at the end of the viewing and requested that the tenant complete within 24-48 hours if they wanted to take their interest further. It sorts the genuine reliable from the time wasters. All viewings I had said they did want to take the property After 48 hours I have had just 4 back which I then work with. It shows how keen and good their communication is from the off.
I hope this helps. It’s taken a year to get this right that works for me.

1 Like

We used calendly which allows you to specify a block of times and let people book into them in slots. You can specify rules such as forcing gaps between slots. Then we just had to send the link to people who were interested (and passed our basic criteria) and we didn’t need to go back and forth. They could also reschedule and cancel through that. Overall it saved a load of hassle as we had about 15 viewings over a weekend. It’s free for the basic features that we needed.

2 Likes

Yes I agree about the calendar. Last property I had advertised had 55 enquiries (only 10 turned up and 9 completed application forms). I arranged them all appointments within a two hour period and as expected only a fifth of enquirers turned up. I ended up writing up a list of the viewings and then crossing them off if they appeared just to keep tabs as Open rents system is not very good for that. Even those that did not turn up ended up showing as ‘had viewing’ in their enquiry.

1 Like

I too, agree with your strategy, and I too do the same. Works well for me and like you and Karen 14 my tenants tell the next tenants what a brilliant landlord I am. Any tenants who thought that was too intrusive would not be the sort of tenants I want in any of my properties.
Once they are in my property it is their home and after the first few checks, they are not contacted by me unless it is a) necessary or b) they want contact. I’ve never had any problems.

1 Like

I did ask them to add this feature last year- maybe if enough other people request it, they will add it?

To avoid no shows I always ask them to confirm by text or phone call 1 hour or so before the viewing. If you don’t get the confirmation don’t bother yourself.
I don’t remind them to do this, if they want it they will call.

1 Like

I had a similar problem. Travelling a considerable distance to a property to meet potential tenants only to find a “no show” outcome is an exceedingly time wasting and frustrating exercise.
I got around this by having an open house policy specifying the day and a two hour window that applicants could come and view which I normally stipulate a Saturday 3-5pm.
There will always be the applicants who wish to view outside the specified times or even an alternative date but you will find that they are generally quite flexible if your firm on your allocated date and time frame that your available to open the property for multi viewing.
I also create a brochure of the property with my contact details which is offered to each viewer.

3 Likes

I think no shows are a feature of every avenue of life i make appointments for people to buy insulation at the unit and 10% will not arrive . A lowish number but still a pain

2 Likes

When a property becomes vacant I inform applicants that the property will be available to view between specific times on a specific day. Despite some people wanting me to amend my availability it’s amazing how flexible they become when I tell them the only time/day for viewing is the one I’ve offered.
If you try to meet individual preferences you will experience loads of no shows and a lot of running back and forth.
I choose an open house option on a Saturday or Sunday between 3 and 4pm. Seams to work ok for me

1 Like

Just do an open morning instead so they come at same time, this also gives a feeling of competition. If you do them one by one it gets really annoying when half don’t show. Do e.g. saturday morning 10-12.

1 Like

before an agreed appointment but I’ve instigated that idea in the past and still some of the buggers don’t turn up.
The open house method of block booking viewings is less frustrating with a greater chance of some bookers actually turning up and as one individual on here has mentioned it becomes more competitive, aiding a faster decision to file an application on the property.

2 Likes

@Per

This is good basic advice.
Initial trimming;
Even with responders, trust your instincts and if something doesn’t stack up don’t be afraid to press further or move straight on. The screening process before viewing is key.
Be clear and ask tenants to be clear about affordability. Be wary of the promise of a great landlord reference. Many landlords are keen to move their tenants on and some will even pay their deposits to get rid. Beware Rent to Renters and those with an alias. They can write perfect responses which may be pushy or too good to be true.
Once you’ve done the weeding out Steps 2 and 3 should be a much easier admin job!

2 Likes

Slightly off the point but are there any suggestions to avoid Open Rent’s limit of 100 enquiries, before they shut down the advertisement?

I had over a 100 enquiries and it did not shut down but I rejected the tenants on the portal with a clear reason why.
I don’t know if that makes a difference.

2 Likes