Property maintenance in Worksop

Hello good people,
Does anyone know how I can get good trades men/women in Worksop area (S80 postcode). I needed joinery, plumber and repointer and painter.

I have tried checkAtrade, yell, trusted trader , balk etc no one seem available. No response from 85% of enquiries made. The rest claim they are full booked for the next 6months.

Any ideas how I can get tradesmen/women for these job in this area?

Thanks

Suggest on your travels you keep your eyes open for builders vans they might be working at a property or even live there.
Knock on the door and explain you need tradesmen and would they be interested in having a look at the work required.

Then ask the house owner are they happy with the builder

many thanks for your response. will keep an eye on it. i guess the trouble for me is I donā€™t live there. i live 1 hour drive away. when there is something fixing i.e tenant reports a maintenance issue, i usually find myself going from one trades site to the other and struggling to find any. not sure what am doing wrong. thought to ask fellow landlords what i could do differently. but points noted.cheers

Get yourself over near the property, find yourself a working mans cafe go inside and if its anything like cafeā€™s around here there will be a multitude of tradsmans cards on the notice board, also ask the owner if they would recommend anyone

1 Like

sometimes builders Merchants have a noticebord with cards on it. BUT reccomendations are better.

cool. that makes lots of sense. will give it a try. thanks for your time

Have you tried https://www.checkatrade.com/ ? If I am stuck for a workman, I use that site.

Charles19 all good tradesmen are booked up There is so much work around and money to finance it. I am a joiner and builders every week are asking can I work for them. (usually outdoors in the rain and cold, I do not need that) So when work is like that I choose the most interesting jobs and regular customersā€¦ Most i know are booked up for 6 months , I thought it would all have collapsed by now

1 Like

cheers. i have tried them. everyone seems busy and booked up till 2022. kind of weird . anyway thanks for responding

1 Like

I couldnt be a LL if I had to employ everyone for every job. We are seeing ridiculous prices being asked for the most mundane of jobs. Example; Most recent job was to replace felt to a small bay top.( not leaking but looking dodgy) I couldnt get a quote below Ā£1500. I eventually gave up and did it myself with Felt shingles for Ā£200 and 4 hours work. I now have paint brushes, blowlamp, wood saws and trowels in my toolbox.

1 Like

Leslie1 I dont want to be a know it all but did you know there are some great ā€œliquid plastic fibreā€ products you can paint on concrete or felted bay roofs or over damaged lead, even if the surface is slightly damp or moist. Goes hard like fibreglass. So easy

1 Like

@Leslie1 that makes sense. however, for someone who is afraid of height, i guess he/she has no choice. But yeah it makes sense to be able to sort out few/minors repair jobs as a LL else one ends up paying more than he/she should be paying