Nine out of 10 tenants do not know which responsibilities are theirs and which are the landlord’s.
That’s according to a Citizens Advice report released this week. The report on disrepair of rental properties also found that 1 in 3 landlords find it hard to keep up with rules and regulations.
Some key landlord takeaways from that report:
- 96% of landlord did not realise that failing to serve the How to Rent Guide to tenants means they cannot use their Section 21 repossession powers later in the tenancy
- Despite 92% of tenants getting their responsibilities wrong, 84% of them say they are confident that they know their own obligations
- 1 in 20 tenants had reported their landlord to Environment Health at some point
- Bad landlords are not being held to account: 63% of landlords did not address a repair issue after being contacted by Environment Health
- 75% of landlords think a single national body for standards would make their job easier
What do you think?