Toilet Seat Broken

Luck, doesn’t come into it for most people. Going without does though.

6 Likes

Mr T you are right i decided not to go on holidays every year so i could save up and buy properties outright… My welsh home in an old mill was then my "holiday " for 14 years. when I got to late 50 s. Made some sacrifices in order to be better off now and help out my children

5 Likes

It’s a cheap quick fix a few quid not hundreds or thousands of pounds and yes it is your responsibility best just do it and don’t mention anything to the tenants as you don’t want to look like a cheap miserly landlord and In doing so and creating a fuss you may upset the relationship you have with them and tenants can cause a lot of damage and be awkward when they want to .

1 Like

The tenants partner broke the seat out of anger. Cheap miserly landlord??

4 Likes

Does it matter in the grand scale of things in life … no … it’s a loo seat £30 just deal with it and park it … life is too short for £30 … happy tenants= a happy landlord … I leave a welcome pack of £100 with marks tea , coffee , milk loo and kitchen rolls and cleaning products

3 Likes

Each to their own. To some a soft landlord means liberty taking tenants. Whatever works for the individual. To me, clearing up after someone else’s mess means being a soft touch, it does of course depend on the tenant type.

Plus it does depend on landlord location and work commitments etc. A £30 loo seat can turn into £90 if you pay someone to do it for you. My tenants stay for years as I’m fair and responsive.

3 Likes

I only rent to Drs and consultants at the local hospital 5 minute walk away … the earn between 60k -140 k a year no liberties taken There I can sure you it’s a fully furnished designer high high end rental So … £ 100 is nothing in terms of what I get for the rent it’s the most expensive rental in my area and I offer a 5 star luxury experience for drs relocating to the area .
Best tenants ever they work so long hours , 60-80 hours a week so the wear and tear is minimal … high earners never there so please … do not judge … you get what you pay for in life …

1 Like

Ps I have no mortgage either

My dads bigger than your dad

Apples and oranges.

do not assume.

4 Likes

have not heard that line (dad) since I was in school !!

1 Like

A friend of mine worst ever tenant was a doctor. Even doctors and their acquaintances can get out of hand. See how you feel if there’s a pattern of damage costing you thousands of pounds a pop. It’s all relative. Hopefully a lady of the night won’t run amok with a spray can in your 5 star abode. If they do you can always just say thats no problem, I’ll sort it out deary! Theres sadly no cure for ignorance…(unless your tenant can help?! :wink:)

1 Like

What’s that got to do with anything?? Am I an inadequate landlord because I have mortgages??

In my books it means I’m a savvy investor because I’m making the most of my money - doesn’t make me any less good as a landlord - I need more properties for the friends of my tenants because I’m such a good landlord to them, so all of their friends want to rent from me too!

7 Likes

this has all got away from the question about a bum deal with a toilet seat. Strange how these things divert .

6 Likes

i am too much of a sucker for biting! “miserly landlords”! :smile:

3 Likes

No good deed goes unpunished. :slight_smile:
Seriously though, even with a bad tenant:

1. It’s easiest just to fix it quick.
  2. You may well find that it has just come loose.
1 Like

Even though the tenant has admitted it was damaged by their misuse / abuse.

Do you tenants not take responsibility for anything?

4 Likes

That suggests to me that you’re probably renting in London at a squillion pounds per month…

4 Likes

Obviously it is the landlord’s responsibility.

Yes, definitely the tenants responsibility if it were broken on purpose. If it were me I would probably replace the first time anyway as a gesture of goodwill.

1 Like

Yes I would replace first time, it’s if there’s a pattern.

1 Like